Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio Fret board and neck roughness

DScrunchy

Hi to all of you Gibson players out there!

I need your help and expertise.

I just received my first Gibson guitar, very exciting! I was examining it and I think there is an issue. The problem is where the neck meets the fret board. I can feel the edge where they meet on almost all areas. Not outrageous, but it's definitely noticeable.

It is a Buckethead Les Paul Studio model. I know there are many out there that dislike this guitar, but I love it. I was just wondering if any others out there had a Les Paul Studio with this issue?

If you do, please let me know what your neck - fret board edge feels like. I know I could sand it down, but that would take off the beautiful white finish on it. I don't really want to send it back, as I think these models are almost all gone.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge,

DScrunchy

Hi to all of you Gibson players out there!

I need your help and expertise.

I just received my first Gibson guitar, very exciting! I was examining it and I think there is an issue. The problem is where the neck meets the fret board. I can feel the edge where they meet on almost all areas. Not outrageous, but it's definitely noticeable.

DScrunchy

My LP Studio with P-90s has that same sort of "ledge" where the planer dressed down the fingerboard to make it (sort of) even with the neck. I consider it to be a non-issue for me, since:

1. We are talking about a fairly minuscule variance;

2. The guitar has other more serious faults (...like finish that continues to bleed red and wear off rapidly on the neck after 2 years of very careful use. It also came with a poorly-cut nut, which I have rectified...)

BUT

Considering:

1. The fretwork on the instrument is superb;

2. The joinery is all perfect;

3. It has a 2-piece back (for all intents and purposes. There is a "third piece" about 1/32" or less thickness on the lower bout. It's only noticeable when you look at the edge of the guitar.)

4. The guitar plays and sounds AWESOME!

I CHOOSE not to worry about the planer mark. That's right... it's a conscious choice whether you worry this thing to death or not. [i've had 4 friends of mine die of cancer and heart conditions in the past year, all before they hit the age of 60, so this is sort of a non-contender for me, personally, as far as "issues" goes.]

My $0.02/FWIW

J/W

[cool]

[besides, I can't play them worth a damn, anyhowz, whether they have a "ledge" or are dead perfect! [cursing] ]

JellyWheat,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I agree with you on all of the good things about the guitar. The frets are perfect. The tone is amazing and many other things are just right about this guitar.

There are far more important things in life than a guitar, but I can't begin to compare.

I don't want to get stuck in the perpetual back order phase that I can foresee coming around the bend with this model, so I plan on keeping it and just being happy with it. Although, I thought with my first real Gibson, the quality control would be top notch.

Has anybody else had this fret board to neck issue? What did you do?

Oh yeah JW, this is hilarious and I can relate!!:

[besides, I can't play them worth a damn, anyhowz, whether they have a "ledge" or are dead perfect! [cursing] ]

Archived