Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Gibson Midtown custom

newlife15

When I tried mine out in the store, I didnt know what material it was .Played it for about 15 minutes, liked what I felt and heard. Looked it over real good and thought the fretboard was ebony.Asked the guys to pull up the specs.Richlite fretboard.Knew it was somesort of alternative material, but liked how it played.Didnt care it wasnt ebony,it was coming home with me ! [wink]

Me too, best semi Gibson I've owned, neck is fantastic,build is spot on too, and it ticks all the boxes for a guy who hasn't got the perfect flat stomach, it sits great and has the strap button in the right place too. A ridiculously cheap bargain, well done Gibson.

When I tried mine out in the store, I didnt know what material it was .Played it for about 15 minutes, liked what I felt and heard. Looked it over real good and thought the fretboard was ebony.Asked the guys to pull up the specs.Richlite fretboard.Knew it was somesort of alternative material, but liked how it played.Didnt care it wasnt ebony,it was coming home with me ! [wink]

Me too, best semi Gibson I've owned, neck is fantastic,build is spot on too, and it ticks all the boxes for a guy who hasn't got the perfect flat stomach, it sits great and has the strap button in the right place too. A ridiculously cheap bargain, well done Gibson.

I have 3 questions about this guitar.

1) Is it the same size as a 359?

2) Is it the type of model where the back and sides are carved out of one piece of wood?

3) If this is a limited edition, is there a typical amount of time Gibson makes limited editions?

Thanks.

I have 3 questions about this guitar.

1) Is it the same size as a 359?

2) Is it the type of model where the back and sides are carved out of one piece of wood?

3) If this is a limited edition, is there a typical amount of time Gibson makes limited editions?

Thanks.

I don't know if its the same size as a 359. I never saw one. What I can tell you is that it falls between a 335 and a 339. It is a hollowbody but solid all around if I am not mistaken. The back is three pieces I think but I'll have to check. I don't think its a limited time series. This guitar does not come from the custom shop.

Hi,

I just picked one up in Vintage Sunburst, great guitar. I really like the fingerboard. I do like Ebony wood but there are inexpensive Epiphone and PRS SE models that have Ebony fingerboards. In addition, Martin has been successfully using synthetic fingerboards for quite a while now. Case in point, Martin's Performing Artist Series GPCPA3 that sells for $1999 uses Richlite for both the bridge and fingerboard. For those really stuck on wood fingerboards there is always the Gibson Midtown Standard with Rosewood fingerboard plus a Bigsby......and it is $100 cheaper.

Regards,

Joe

Guitars.jpg

Hi,

I just picked one up in Vintage Sunburst, great guitar. I really like the fingerboard. I do like Ebony wood but there are inexpensive Epiphone and PRS SE models that have Ebony fingerboards. In addition, Martin has been successfully using synthetic fingerboards for quite a while now. Case in point, Martin's Performing Artist Series GPCPA3 that sells for $1999 uses Richlite for both the bridge and fingerboard. For those really stuck on wood fingerboards there is always the Gibson Midtown Standard with Rosewood fingerboard plus a Bigsby......and it is $100 cheaper.

Regards,

Joe

Guitars.jpg

Its a beautiful guitar.I dont have an issue with the richlite.Most of the fretboard is plastic anyways due to the inlays. I think the VS is one of the nicest ones I have seen.Love the burst neck too. How do you like the bb pickups?

Its a beautiful guitar.I dont have an issue with the richlite.Most of the fretboard is plastic anyways due to the inlays. I think the VS is one of the nicest ones I have seen.Love the burst neck too. How do you like the bb pickups?

Hi,

I was pleasantly surprised since I've owned Les Pauls w/Burstbuckers and was not overly impressed with them. However, this guitar sounds great thru both a modern Fender BandMaster VM (shown in the image) as well as my vintage 1966 Band Master head. Crisp cleans to Jazzy smooth sounds.....plus the BB's can burn real nice with high gain stuff. I've not been this happy with a guitar in a long time. I also think that this guitar has nice inherent tone with good sustain. It is well worth the money IF you don't mind the Richlite....I do not.

Regards,

Joe

Archived