Gibson Brands Forums

74/75 Hummingbirds

Rich G74

Hi there. I'm looking at Hummingbirds after recently playing a 1996 and a 2011 both of which answered every need i have from an acoustic guitar. I'm unable to spend the 3000 for a new one right now but I've spotted a few for sale from the mid seventies that are looking around the 1800 mark. I know Gibson was under different ownership then but were the 70s guitars to be avoided? I have a 75 Flying V that i love to bits but i wonder if the nuances of the hummingbird tone i've experienced will be different with a 70s model. Thanks for any thoughts on this...

I think you will find a big difference between a 1970s and a 1990s up to Present.. I also think youll find a newer one ( USED) in the price range of 1500 to 1900.00 . New ones are about 2700.00 , when I checked yesterday at the store..

all 1970s Hummingbirds were double X braced.. the braces were shorter in height. Not sure what they were thinking when they came up with that idea.. It killed the sound.. I myself wouldnt touch a 1970s Guitar.. for those who have a Good one without issues , they are very Lucky..

I think you will find a big difference between a 1970s and a 1990s up to Present.. I also think youll find a newer one ( USED) in the price range of 1500 to 1900.00 . New ones are about 2700.00 , when I checked yesterday at the store..

all 1970s Hummingbirds were double X braced.. the braces were shorter in height. Not sure what they were thinking when they came up with that idea.. It killed the sound.. I myself wouldnt touch a 1970s Guitar.. for those who have a Good one without issues , they are very Lucky..

Thanks for this info Slimt - very helpful - i didn't know about the bracing; and the sound is ALL that matters. Would you say quality has been back to consistent from the mid-90s on?

Archived