Gibson Brands Forums

help me find wierd epiphone headstock

vadbhoi

hey! & Happy Holindaise ,everyone!

I've been searching for years for any type of pic of a 1971 Epiphone acoustic i had as my 2nd ever acoustic guitar. Trying to complete a dossier of my lifelong axes for my kids. All I can say is that it was mahogany back & sides with spruce top and had a truly strange headstock to any usual epiphone/vintage epiphone design. looked like an attept to modern up the image. specifically it was at the very top that was odd, with a pair of strange little arrow shaped cuts 'inward' on each side. someone could truly 'make' my christmas with any model recomendation info or possible images.

and no ,i do not have a model number or picture of my own.

Thanx! and God Bless all!

billy T.

Hi and welcome to the Epiphone forum!

Your description is understandably vague, but if you could possibly give a few more details, it may help us with identifying your guitar.

From the description of the headstock, it sounds like it could be a classical nylon string guitar? Also, size would help. Full size, 3/4 size, etc. and body shape if you can remember. Although, nuances in the various body shapes will probably be hard to remember. Any other small details might help as well...like tuners (individual or plate mounted), inlays and inlay pattern on the fretboard, scale, etc.

Anything and everything you can possibly remember would help us point you in the right direction.

Hey Rob, just noticed that the Epi Wiki is rejecting queries due to bandwidth limit exceeded.

Yeah, I dont know why. I checked the hits on Statcounter and I have less than last month so far...not much, but less. I noticed that the hits have been increasing steadily by 5000 to 10,000 page loads every month. Maybe its getting too big for the server its on. I thought we had unlimited bandwidth, but I dont know for sure. I sent a message to Sjael, but I havent heard from him yet. Hopefully I will hear from him sometime tonight when NZ wakes up.

Luckily, I have catalogs to fall back on for posts like this. They dont cover everything I have in the wiki, but its better than nothing.

Welcome vadbhoi.

A picture would be nice. You call it a 1971 model. That was a year of transition. Early '71 Epis were made in Kalamazoo, Mi. Later that year production moved to Matsumoku in Japan.

What makes you think it was built in '71?

Pictures would be a help... Did I already say that?

A front and back head to toe, then close ups of the head stock back and front. Then a shot of the inside-the-sound-hole label.

While you're at it, have a gander at the > > > 1974 Epiphone Catalog < < < I don't know about the classical guitars, but the folk guitars built in 1971 in Japan are essentially the same as what was built in 1974. But, take a peek to see if you recognize anything.

The only ones with a HS with features resembling a dart or arrow you describe are the EC-22 and EC-24 classical guitars.

Archived