Gibson Brands Forums

ES 175 high fret profile

dvd5300

I was looking at a 1998 Gibson ES175. It was in good condition and had a really nice sound. But (compared to my 335TD) the fret profiles were very high. It was difficult to slide from one position to the next. It seemed to me that crowning the frets was in order. I'm definitely not a luthier by any stretch. But I was wondering why Gibson didn't polish these frets when the guitar was built. Is this common for newer 175's? Should I have purchased the guitar and had my luthier do the work? If I go looking (online) for a 175, can I expect more of the same??

Thanks for your help guys.

I have no idea if the two guitars come with different sized frets (maybe the 175 was refretted at one point?) but nonetheless....

My Byrdland has very low frets. But my two PRS' have, at least in my opinion, rather high frets.

I find that different height on different guitars doesn't really bother me too much --- though granted I do have to somewhat change my style slightly.

But I really notice a difference on other guitars if the frets aren't crowned or polished well.

What year is your 335TD? My experience is that my 70’s – early 80’s Gibson’s had wide and low frets. They were smooth for sliding on and such but difficult to bend on. My ’06 SG Classic had big jumbos. Anyway, it could be the difference between older and newer factory spec frets and a matter of personal preference. And/or they need to be polished like the prior reply said. I like the bigger frets. I even had my ’73 ES-175 re-fretted with medium jumbos.

What year is your 335TD? My experience is that my 70’s – early 80’s Gibson’s had wide and low frets. They were smooth for sliding on and such but difficult to bend on. My ’06 SG Classic had big jumbos. Anyway, it could be the difference between older and newer factory spec frets and a matter of personal preference. And/or they need to be polished like the prior reply said. I like the bigger frets. I even had my ’73 ES-175 re-fretted with medium jumbos.

My 335TD is a 1979. And you're correct. The frets are wider, lower and polished. The 175 frets were like railroad ties. EXtreme. So I guess my question is: On late model 175's, can I expect more of the clunky-feeling frets? I guess it will be the first thing I ask someone who's selling. BTW. Am I crazy? Does the 175 have a unique and beautiful sound? Are the 2000 models worth looking at? Thanks again

My 335TD is a 1979. And you're correct. The frets are wider, lower and polished. The 175 frets were like railroad ties. EXtreme. So I guess my question is: On late model 175's, can I expect more of the clunky-feeling frets? I guess it will be the first thing I ask someone who's selling. BTW. Am I crazy? Does the 175 have a unique and beautiful sound? Are the 2000 models worth looking at? Thanks again

Hi DVD5300,

I bought my ES 175 brand new in 2005 and it was perfect right out of the box, literally. All I had to do was adjust bridge height and intonation and it was perfect. The frets were perfectly dressed and smooth as glass, and I have no problems bending strings at any point on the neck. I have 8 guitars, and I'd say the frets on my 175 are of "average" height. I've never had a problem sliding up or down the neck. No "railroad ties" on my guitar. Sounds like yours might have been refretted.

Sandy

I was looking at a 1998 Gibson ES175. It was in good condition and had a really nice sound. But (compared to my 335TD) the fret profiles were very high. It was difficult to slide from one position to the next. It seemed to me that crowning the frets was in order. I'm definitely not a luthier by any stretch. But I was wondering why Gibson didn't polish these frets when the guitar was built. Is this common for newer 175's? Should I have purchased the guitar and had my luthier do the work? If I go looking (online) for a 175, can I expect more of the same??

Thanks for your help guys.

Dont confuse a fret that needs a crown/polish with a fret with a high profile.

I have a 1996 ES165 Herb Ellis. The frets are tall and wide. I like them but it is a matter of taste.

If I didnt like them I would say that I dont like tall frets but that is a design consideration, not bad workmanship.

Archived