Gibson Brands Forums

Nylon Cover?

Jbell15

What you refer to as a cover is usually referred to as the "shroud".

I don't know what material it is made from, but do you really think Gibson would ship guitars iin cases that would cause damage in any way?

I have never had a shroud cause damage to a guitar, FWIW.

Regards,

J/W

That's very funny, SamBooka. You should write it down before you forget it. I was just wondering in case it was a lesser know thing and happened over the course of many years, but I guess it's my fault for assuming everyone on here wasn't as witty as you...

Not so fast, jbell. I have actually heard of that complaint before. I didn't mention it this morning because I have never seen a confirmation from Gibson that it was an issue in anything but a few isolated instances.

But I have heard of it.

J/W

That's very funny, SamBooka. You should write it down before you forget it. I was just wondering in case it was a lesser know thing and happened over the course of many years, but I guess it's my fault for assuming everyone on here wasn't as witty as you...

[confused]

Not so fast, jbell. I have actually heard of that complaint before. I didn't mention it this morning because I have never seen a confirmation from Gibson that it was an issue in anything but a few isolated instances.

But I have heard of it.

J/W

Did you mean "not so fast, Sambooka"?

Did you mean "not so fast, Sambooka"?

No, he meant "not so fast, Jbell". You seem to be confused. Sambooka was not trying to be funny. And JW's point about Gibson not being likely to use a hazardous (to a guitar) shroud material is basically a valid one. Where did you get the idea that it was nylon?

I once had the pink from the case lining bleed into the back of the neck on a blond archtop. It was just in one spot. Maybe something else (moisture? some foreign chemical?) contributed to it happening. I don't know.

No, he meant "not so fast, Jbell". You seem to be confused. Sambooka was not trying to be funny. And JW's point about Gibson not being likely to use a hazardous (to a guitar) shroud material is basically a valid one. Where did you get the idea that it was nylon?

I once had the pink from the case lining bleed into the back of the neck on a blond archtop. It was just in one spot. Maybe something else (moisture? some foreign chemical?) contributed to it happening. I don't know.

You're correct, I am completely confused. "Oh oh oh, allow me" sounded sarcastic as far as I could tell, but my apologies to SamBooka if it wasn't... I was doing some research. I mixed up the materials, I think it's vinyl that causes the damage to the finish. And like I said, I don't think Gibson would do it on purpose, but some guitar products are made with vinyl so I just wanted to double check.

You're correct, I am completely confused. "Oh oh oh, allow me" sounded sarcastic as far as I could tell, but my apologies to SamBooka if it wasn't... I was doing some research. I mixed up the materials, I think it's vinyl that causes the damage to the finish. And like I said, I don't think Gibson would do it on purpose, but some guitar products are made with vinyl so I just wanted to double check.

SamBooka is NOT the one to watch out for, as far as being a $h!t-disturber goes... [unsure]

I AM! [flapper]

[Welcome to the forum, where we don't do too much funnin' around when it comes to things that might hurt our "babies". Your humble apology is gratefully accepted by all concerned!] [laugh]

J/W

[thumbup]

Sorry.. my Iphone has all my attention now..

I dont know if I can take a pic and you be able to see the pink.. Even if it worked I dont know if it would show on all monitors.

I AM a $hit disturber .. but in this thread it wasnt my objective.

Actually I had brought it up in a previous thread.. it is almost as though the finish has softened on the top of the upper bout (where your arm rests). When I noticed the pink I took a look and there are several places where it shows on back. If the binding had not been a light colour it wouldnt show so much.. but pink on creme is hard to miss.

Actually years ago this use to be a common topic on Gibson Forums all over the Internet. I've read those complaints myself. I also have read complaints were the color dye used for the body of the guitar bleed onto the binding of the guitar. This is and has been an issue for some over the years. I have a very small area on my binding were the color is a pinkish color from the red on the guitar. This could explain a lot of the complaints that the pink shroud was the culprit but in reality it was the color bleeding onto the binding. Then again the ones who had white body guitars that had pink on their binding dindn't have any contact with anything thing red, only the pink lining and shroud.

Actually years ago this use to be a common topic on Gibson Forums all over the Internet. I've read those complaints myself. I also have read complaints were the color dye used for the body of the guitar bleed onto the binding of the guitar. This is and has been an issue for some over the years. I have a very small area on my binding were the color is a pinkish color from the red on the guitar. This could explain a lot of the complaints that the pink shroud was the culprit but in reality it was the color bleeding onto the binding. Then again the ones who had white body guitars that had pink on their binding dindn't have any contact with anything thing red, only the pink lining and shroud.

:unsure: FWIW, I always suspected that the culprit was the solvent fumes from the contact cement used to glue the linings into the cases. My theory is that it either softened the nitro or caused the pink dye in the shroud material to "bleed".

Have you ever noticed that most of these complaints disappeared when the case manufacturer switched over to the current glue that gives off a "chocolatey" odor? [confused]

[Maybe I've just lost too many brain cells to the solvent fumes, myself!] [blink]

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

J/W

:unsure: FWIW, I always suspected that the culprit was the solvent fumes from the contact cement used to glue the linings into the cases. My theory is that it either softened the nitro or caused the pink dye in the shroud material to "bleed".

Have you ever noticed that most of these complaints disappeared when the case manufacturer switched over to the current glue that gives off a "chocolatey" odor? [confused]

[Maybe I've just lost too many brain cells to the solvent fumes, myself!] [blink]

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

J/W

Yes Your right, you don't hear these complaints anymore and your theory is just as valid as any I've heard. Certain solvents either in a liquid or a vapor state can effect different finishes. If Gibson changed the cases do to this being the problem but did nothing to make good on it with their loyal customers, it doesn't say much for them . They are no different than any other big business. They only do whats best for them if it cost them money

Archived