Gibson Brands Forums

1973 Gibson SG. General purchase question.

slavestate

Hello there,

Locally there is a music store that is selling a 1973 Gibson SG with a gig bag for $699. I took a play at it this evening and it plays wonderfully with that super slim neck profile I have been looking for.

It comes with a re fret of jumbo frets and the fret board looks like it could be brand new. It plays superb.

Here's the only negative aspects I could find, and I just would like some help with some other opinions on whether or not it's worth the investment.

It has the dreaded broken headstock, that has been professionally repaired and by playing it you wouldn't even be able to tell. Who ever did the work really took the time and effort to get it right. Also, the pickups are "mini" hum buckers and the neck pickup is swimming in the hardware of the body (by this I am trying to describe that the pickup hardware seems to be damaged and/or the inlay it rests in is?).

Besides those two things, all of the hardware and circuitry is original and with a nice general patina. There are some dings and nicks here and there, but the color is that old school brown walnut.

I have a feeling within the next couple of days it won't be there any longer and I would like to jump on it if it seems "worth" the investment. I am not going to buy this to resell, but rather to have as a general purpose player.

I just cannot spend the $1300 on a new one that doesn't even have a hard shell case.

Thanks,

I would appreciate all of your potential feedback.

Hello there,

Locally there is a music store that is selling a 1. 1973 Gibson SG with a gig bag for $699. I took a play at it this evening and it plays wonderfully with that super slim neck profile I have been looking for.

2. It comes with a re fret of jumbo frets and the fret board looks like it could be brand new. It plays superb.

Here's the only negative aspects I could find, and I just would like some help with some other opinions on whether or not it's worth the investment.

3. It has the dreaded broken headstock, that has been professionally repaired 4. and by playing it you wouldn't even be able to tell. Who ever did the work really took the time and effort to get it right. Also, 5. the pickups are "mini" hum buckers and the neck pickup is swimming in the hardware of the body (by this I am trying to describe that the pickup hardware seems to be damaged and/or the inlay it rests in is?).

Besides those two things, all of the hardware and circuitry is original and with a nice general patina. There are some dings and nicks here and there, but the color is that old school brown walnut.

I have a feeling within the next couple of days it won't be there any longer and I would like to 6. jump on it if it seems "worth" the investment. I am not going to buy this to resell, but rather to have as a general purpose player.

I just cannot spend the $1300 on a new one that doesn't even have a hard shell case.

Thanks,

I would appreciate all of your potential feedback.

Well, this may take a while... lets consider the points in red (above), one by one:

1. 1973 is a Norlin year... the least desirable Gibsons were made during this ownership regime (although I have known some who just love the Norlins...).

2. If the refret was properly done, someone at the store would have had to TELL you so. I certainly hope you were not able to detect this fact on your own. Fretwire size is a matter of personal preference, as long as the job is properly done.

3. Lots of SGs have had their headstocks broken. This is not the "kiss of death" if the repair was correctly executed.

4. Never mind if the headstock repair "can hardly be detected in playing". There should be no rough or protruding edges to see or feel. Some will disagree with me, I'm sure, but I'm a stickler! If you had said "can only be detected upon close examination", I would have felt better.

5. I don't know offhand what kind of pickups that vintage SG came with, but "mini humbuckers" does not sound familiar to me for that guitar. You may have to pull them and replace them with full sized 'buckers to get rid of the wobble. [bTW, how do electronics get a "patina"?]

6. This guitar is NOT investtment potential. It sounds to me as though it has already been "jumped on" at least once before. If you want it as a player, that's fine, but it may end up costing you upwards of $1,000 to get this show on the road.

My $0.02/FWIW/YMMV

J/W

B)

The gentleman who mentioned the re fretting was up front about it and said it was just finished, and as I was in their store a couple of weeks ago and didn't see it. They have an in house luthier who did the work.

The headstock refinish looks like a serious pro did it, I say it "looks" like because the way they inlaid new wood to fit the neck (much like a hardwood floor is laid out).

In regards to the mini hum buckers, they looked like old P90's at first glance, and even sounded bright as if they could be, but the sales guy insisted on them being mini hum buckers. The shell that holds the pick up in the locked position is what seems to be the issue. Because the bridge pickup is identical and it was fastened down. It seems like the hardware was possibly striped out, not necessarily they came with regular hum buckers.

The tuners had some patina to them, and so did the input jacks, knobs and toggle switch. Internally I wouldn't know without opening it up, and I don't think they would go through that trouble for me before purchase. I would feel much better about it though.

I would be purchasing this as a one time buy that I could have and hold on to for the long run. I am just concerned if I have to spend an additional amount on the pickups and such.

Pictures would have helped out a bunch here. I can't comment any further, because of the pickup issue and the way the headstock repair was tackled. Whenever I hear about wood being "inlaid", my mind always goes to the scenario where the new wood is there to cover up screws.

Sorry I can't be of any greater assistance.

J/W

B)

Don't be in a hurry with this one. Even if it gets sold (I doubt it) I THINK at that price you could get one without issues. At least pretty close to it.

For 700 bones, there are a LOT more options you could do for a used Gibby.

It sounds to me like, a lot has been done and repaired. If it is a SGII it came with black mini-humbuckers (no polepieces showing). It sounds like these cavities may have been routed for full size humbuckers at one time and therefore the minis are wobbling in the larger cavity?

A local music store in my area has a near mint/all original example,(no case) for $899.

Also, great advice/info from Jellywheat... and others [thumbup]

Some pictures would be of help.

Rod

It sounds to me like, a lot has been done and repaired. If it is a SGII it came with black mini-humbuckers (no polepieces showing). It sounds like these cavities may have been routed for full size humbuckers at one time and therefore the minis are wobbling in the larger cavity?

A local music store in my area has a near mint/all original example,(no case) for $899.

Also, great advice/info from Jellywheat... and others [thumbup]

Some pictures would be of help.

Rod

Thank you very much ... It's very reassuring, being a newcomer, to get the occasional nod from you long-time members.

J/W

[blush]

Thank you for all of your comments and feedback.

I may have to pass on this one. I don't think I am looking for a guitar I will have to invest money into for that price.

I think that is a very wise decision. As stein has already pointed out, you can almost certainly get a lot more Gibson for 7 bills, without the headaches.

Good hunting!

J/W [cool]

Archived