Gibson Brands Forums

1930's Gibson HG 20 Guitar + OHSC

fab432

Hello,

I am in the process of thinning out my collection and I am ready to part with my 1930's HG 20. It went under a fairly extensive restoration in 2007 at the Gibson Repair Centre in Nashville. The following work was performed:

Neck reset and fret touch up

Fabricate and install new pickguard

Intall new tuners (have the originals)

Fabricate and install a new bridge (- original bridge was shaved by previous owner to get lower action and it was ruined)

Total cost of restoration was over $1300. The guitar was appraised at $2350.

Cosmetically it still needs work if desired as a previous owner was in the process of taking the finish off. It never bothered me so I left it as it was.

Condition is pretty good - one small crack on the top side board about 2.5" - when it was looked at during the restoration it was deemed stable and nothing was required to be done. There is a dent in the neck but that doesn't affect playability. Some small surface/finish cracks around the back edges - again no issue when looked at by Gibson.

The good news is that it plays like a dream - great action and a great bluesy tone. The 'f" holes combined with the center hole + the inside sound chamber really does create a unique sound.

I am asking $1900 OBO. Please e-mail me for the pics as I still haven't figured how to post them on this site.

Len

Archived