Gibson Brands Forums

SG Restoration Q's

c.somers07

Hey Guys....I am new to the forums and have a few questions about a restoration project I am going to be working on...

Well first off ill just say what the project is, it is an early 70's sg standard BODY. I know alot of people bash the 70's sg's but I personally like them, but thats besides the point.

Anyway, the project in its current condition is only a body, the neck was properly removed from the joint cavity.

I am having a hard time finding replacement necks however I have found a les paul neck forsale and I am wondering if they are the same measurements as sg necks from the early 70's. like would it fit in the neck pocket of this body. Also does anyone know where I can find licensed gibson replacement necks? I know its highly unlikely that those even exist but I am just curious

thanks guys hope you can help!!

A Les Paul neck would not fit an SG, as they each join the body at a different place, with the heel of the neck being at different places.

Having said that, I think not all SG necks are the same either, as different years of SG's have different specs in the neck joint.

That is going to be a tough one, as finding a Gibson neck from a Gibson is going to be next to impossible, as finding a Gibson that has a damaged body and a good neck is not likely to exist.

As far as I know, no one makes "licensed" Gibby necks, nor would Gibby allow it.

Which leads to the next issue, which is the only way I see getting a neck is to have one made. It is going to be difficult finding any pre-made neck to fit it properly and exactly, as there just isn't really a market or enough people who would need such a thing. In that, I mean a maker who would make and offer a wide variety of slightly different necks to meet ALL the requirements of those you might need this or that depending on the particular guitar.

The only option I see is to have one made for it.

make lemonade out of the lemon:

Option 1: go full-throttle and modify it with a replacement "Fender" neck copy?? Modyfying one of those necks to fit the body pocket would be an interesting project, and you can get those replacement necks and back plate for a song, so nothing is really lost if it doesn't work. you can get those necks in Birdseye maple.

Option 2: buy a cheap SG copy in Craigslist and steal the neck off of it. [biggrin] (some copies are identical repros of the real thing).

Archived