Gibson Brands Forums

I have an OLD Epiphone Classical

Gary Moore Tribute

The serial is this 111668

o far I know its a Classic 60 But I have no idea on the age can anyone help?

PS I also have a C-30 if you would like an image for the Epi Wiki

LOL! Its like you knew I would somehow be drawn to this thread...:-k :P

I cant specifically date your Classic-60. They began production in 1976 from what I can tell. I put 1976-1979 in the wiki becuase they dont show up in the 1980-81 catalogs that I have. That, and a lot of models seemed to be discontinued in 1979 for some reason. Its possible that they were produced to some point in 1980, but I am not certain. Also, I'm not sure that the Japanese numbers were decodable or even made any sense. I think you may have to just live with your guitar being made sometime between 1976-1979...unless someone else knows how to decipher the serial.

As for the C-30, not only do I not have a pic, I have no specs for it at all. I seem to remember not being able to find any info on this guitar whatsoever. So yeah, a pic and maybe some specs would be absolutely fantastic! And of course, you get credit on the contributor's page on the wiki.

Thanks in advance! Sorry I couldnt be of more help with the Classic-60.

No worries I remember with the Japanese "Elites" their a sod to age right

Heres the Info I can at least produce

SDC11391.jpg

SDC11392.jpg

SDC11393.jpg

SDC11394.jpg

SDC11395.jpg

Rosewood back, sides & neck inc headstock

Mahogany Front (I think)

Rosewood Fretboard

Silver (Scrolled) Hardware

Pearlesant Plastic Tuners

Cream Plastic Rollers

Cream Plastic Nut

19 Fret Scale length (Markers at 5, 7, 9 & 12 ONLY)

Black Plastic Bridge

Made in Korea during the EbyG era 1988 in January #63

Not sure on years but would guess 1986-89 maybe less..

As the Epiphone Wiki link indicates, 1976 - 1979. Pinning down a more specific date using the serial number is going to be impossible. They were, seemingly, issued at random and no records have ever come to light.

There's an > > >Epiphone Wiki< < < ?????? Doood! eusa_pray.gif

So my 1976-79 educated guess was correct? Man, I'm getting good at this! lol. [biggrin] Like I said earlier though, the date in the wiki was mainly based on catalogs and referencing similar guitars of that era. The wiki is NOT always correct and many times dates are estimations that are typically within a year or so of being accurate. If I cant find any info on guitar dates, I usually leave it blank or just put the country of origin, like on the C-30. I knew it was Korean, but no clue as to the years it was actually produced. The wiki is very much a work in progress, and I suspect it will remain that way indefinitely.

Also, you didnt know about the wiki? For as much as we are both all over this forum identifying guitars, I have to say that I am surprised. If you ever have any info, additions or corrections to current wiki entries, just let me know. I will create a page and a list of contributions from any member that wishes to contribute to the wiki...no matter how small. Even if it is something as small as a color correction or addition. I know your forte is acoustics, Tommy. This is my weakest area aside from maybe the bluegrass/big band section.

Archived