Gibson Brands Forums

What were the Gibson Custom colors of the 60's?

c.somers07

Hey guys, I am wondering what the custom colors were for gibson in the early to mid 1960's! I want to refinish a 61 SG special that was refinned very poorly in the 80's in very thick poly....yuck. Because it is a 61 I am wondering what custom colors gibson offered so I can at least refin it in a color that is somewhat original. was black even offered in 1961? all help is appreciated. thanks

in the SG line, Antique White was one. Wine Red was also, and of course, Walnut or "Chestnut". Tobacco Sunburst is rare for an SG. I'm not sure about Black, but I have my doubts. Of course, I am not the last word on this subject.

I have a 1963 Firebird brochure that lists 10 custom colors, but I'm not sure if they were only available for the Firebirds or any solid body model. They are:

1. Polaris White

2. Frost Blue

3. Ember Red

4. Inverness Green Poly

5. Silver Mist Poly

6. Cardinal Red

7. Heather Poly (light purple)

8. Pelham Blue Poly

9. Golden Mist Poly

10. Kerry Green

Of course this doesn't include any of the sunburst finishes. SEE CUSTOM COLOR CHART BELOW

I don't think the term "wine red" was used until the 1970's. It was a very dark red, and could never have been confused with cherry, as would start to happen later.

I don't know when it was first offered, but burgundy metallic was another 60's custom color.

I don't think the term "wine red" was used until the 1970's. It was a very dark red, and could never have been confused with cherry, as would start to happen later.

Manischewitz Red ?? [biggrin]

I thought Walnut wasn't offered until the early 70's? most sgs during the Norlin era are walnut but that color is virtually non existent in 60's sg's. I think a black SG special would look great!

Walnut became an option on a number of models (including the ES335, 345, 355, ES150D, and SG Custom) in 1969.

Yeah! Ive always loved the vintage epi fox finishes. they seem a little difficult to do though and on an sg Im not sure it would look good. Im leaning towards one of those gold finishes or maybe burgundy metallic. still.....Im guessing there werent custom colors in 1961

• 1 month later...

Pretty sure I've seen pictures of an 1968 ES-330 in the walnut finish.

As far as I know, it became an official option in 1969. But who knows- they could have done a few before that. Or, the Gibson serial number confusion of the era could explain it (your '68 could have actually been a '69).

Archived