Gibson Brands Forums

EJ200ce saddle

barton8367

Ok heres the deal....

the saddle on my ej200ce has looked worse for wear for a while but now it is starting to affect the sound on my treble strings. Some hard gigging over the last few months has meant the already slightly damaged saddle has become almost unplayable!

i was hoping people would be able to give me some pointers of how to go about sorting this. Im looking at buying in a fully compensated saddle but i have no idea where to get one from, and also how much work it is to remove the old one and get the new one to play exactly the same as my action at the moment is incredible!

Then there is also the issue of the under saddle pick up, could i damage it if i attempt this myself?

Is replacing the saddle something that someone with limited guitar tech experience could achieve with good results?

Thanks guys

Well, I think you asked all the right questions and I hope I can give you descent advance. I think your best bet is to take to a guitar tech at your local guitar shop and have him replace the saddle for you and possible have him make a back saddle. Sit down with the guy and really let him know about your playing style and what type of action you'll want.

Now the the question is what material do you want to use? Bone is most preferred or common material, but I have heard lots of good things about Graph Tech Tusq. Either one would be a great improvement over plastic.

Could you do the work your self? Possible, but even with using the old saddle as a guide you might end up having to buy several saddles before you get it right. Again I think your better off having an experienced guitar tech do the job and also have him check or do a complete setup on the guitar. You may need your truss rod adjusted and this would be a good time to also have the nut replace with bone or tusq. Lastly you could also have them clean the fret board and polish the frets.

Hope that helps.

that helps a ton thanks!! ive also heard a lot of good things about Tusq too, people are even saying that for this guitar it gives better sustain and tone than a bone saddle would!

I think ur right in saying its a great chance to have my guitar set up totally. Im pretty sure the guitar has been set up properly before and i love the way it plays.

Would a guitar tech be able to set it up exactly how it is now with a new nut and saddle?

Cheers

Archived