Gibson Brands Forums

New Epiphone banjos

parispAl

Hello,

i just checked the new Epiphone website and watched the Banjo section. I saw they offer three models starting from 125 euros for the MB100 model. The MB100 is an open back which is the type i'm looking for.

I know it's an entry range product and you can't expect much for that price, but as a banjo beginner, I wanted to know if one of you know this product.

Merci !

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Bluegrass/MB-100.aspx

"The MB-100 open back 5-string banjo is the perfect traveling banjo and an ideal first instrument for players interested in bluegrass and stringband music. Open back banjos are appreciated for being lightweight (easy on the shoulder!) and for their unique, mellow tone. Epiphone’s founder Epi Stathopoulo’s first patent was for a banjo and Epiphone has always been at the forefront of banjo design, setting trends, and leading the industry in making affordable quality instruments."

MB100_Splash.jpg

I wish had experience with the 100 to chime in for you. I do however have the mb-200 and it is well made, plays and sounds beautifully! Based off my experience if I was looking to pick up anopther Banjo I would have no problems picking up a mb-100 sight unseen! Good Luck

• 2 months later...

I have two currently, and have had another in the past that was my very first banjo. All bought used, all solid performers, durable and fine sounding. The perfect student banjo to learn on, practice on and find your banjo voice. Tunes fine, holds a tune well, good rim and head. If it had a better bridge, it'd be perfect. Spring for a nicer bridge to avoid developing any little buzzes as it wears in and you are golden. Plain but serviceable chrome hardware, indestructible. A great buy new, but they are so hard to hurt that a used one is always a bargain! Not quite as full a sound as the Deering Goodtime, but a lot less pricey, and the dang Deering does not have dots on the side of the fretboard . . . that's tough on a beginner.

Hope that helps, if you're still looking for opinions.

I sometimes get a wild hair up my nose and get a hankering to plunk on the old banjo. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a lightly used Epiphone. Thanks for the vote of confidence. That being said, are you selling?

[sneaky]

Archived