Gibson Brands Forums

EJ160E pickup upgrade

k1200gt

I finally had enough of the crappy pickup and decided to see if I could upgrade to a new magnetic pickup located in the same place as the existing pickup. After a visit to the local guitar shop, I found a Seymour Duncan mini humbucker, SL59-1 Little'59 for Strat. I had to make the hole in the top slightly larger but it looks like a factory install. I wired it to the existing volume and tone controls. The sound is much improved but still gets that Beatle sound with out the extra noise.post-38631-014643000 1325124473_thumb.jpg

How does the string-spacing fit with the pole-pieces ?

The low E and A and the high E and B are on the inside half of the pick up screws and the D and G strings are dead on centered. I'm using .12 electric round strings. No volume problem between strings.

I finally had enough of the crappy pickup and decided to see if I could upgrade to a new magnetic pickup located in the same place as the existing pickup. After a visit to the local guitar shop, I found a Seymour Duncan mini humbucker, SL59-1 Little'59 for Strat. I had to make the hole in the top slightly larger but it looks like a factory install. I wired it to the existing volume and tone controls. The sound is much improved but still gets that Beatle sound with out the extra noise.post-38631-014643000 1325124473_thumb.jpg

This also cured the problem I was having of the B string being a lot louder than the other strings.

Archived