Gibson Brands Forums

Thinking about replacing bridge pup

micmymac

Hey,

Im new to this forum so hello!

So, I am in need of advice for a pickup replacement in the bridge of my gibson lp studio. Right now I have an sd sh1b in it. Originally i put it in to clean up the clean channel of a jcm 900, I have since upgraded to an amp with better cleans. The sh1 just doesnt make notes diaringuishable enough. When I play notes, eapecially on the low E and A, they sound is very flat and almost hard to distinguish over another guitar on cleans. I do play a good amount

personally I would first check your pickup height rather than buying a new pup. there are many things we can do to add more clarity to your existing set up such as replacing volume pots with 500k, this will increase brightness and help your cut through the mix.

I would personally take it to a repair shop and discuss your options first, My les paul has had everything but the wood customized to me to get the sound in my head and that meant ditching my Marshall too!

What amp are you using now? I got a bunch of Blackstars at the moment

I definitely plan on adjustIng pickup height myself when i get the chance. It may do the trick, if not ill look into a new volume pot. Maybe its a good thing that i experiment with a humbucker that isnt too high output, after all, it is a cleaner tone i am going after.

My amp is a splawn quick rod. Ive had it for about a week. My 900 blew an output tranny recently, and i got sick of repairing the piece of junk, so i bought something that will last.

I definitely plan on adjustIng pickup height myself when i get the chance. It may do the trick, if not ill look into a new volume pot. Maybe its a good thing that i experiment with a humbucker that isnt too high output, after all, it is a cleaner tone i am going after.

My amp is a splawn quick rod. Ive had it for about a week. My 900 blew an output tranny recently, and i got sick of repairing the piece of junk, so i bought something that will last.

i got SD Alnico pro 2's, medium output, its not all about high output humbuckers IMO, when balanced right with your amp and the right overall setup you can find a sweet tone that sets you apart from the rest.

Kool amp i've not tried that brand yet

Archived