Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Blues Master - Low saddle?

APe

Hi,

my first post here. And already in trouble [unsure]

What do you think about this saddle of '94 Blues Master? I would say it is far too low. String action is near ok but there is nothing (except neck reset) to do if I need to lower the action. Low saddle like this is probably not good for the sound either.

post-1235-099592800 1325331716_thumb.jpg

Before you give up on her can you tell us what the height is at the 12th fret, from the photo's I would say that the saddle is lower then it should be and there are some other options from a neck reset like ramping the pin holes to give you a touch more angle of the strings to the saddle, just a thought good luck with it. You could always see what an expert things ( luthier or tech ).ship

You might also want to look at your bridge plate to see how wore it is. You'll need an inspection mirror and a flash light. Look to see that the pin wholes aren't out of round and there by not seating the string ball correctly. Also look to see that the bridge plate has not come loose. I do like dubstar's solution; it's not as intrusive as a neck reset.

OK, thanks for positive comments. That ramping job link especially, it seems to be exactly what is needed here.

From photos you can see the action both sides, sorry for mm scale, and the bridge plate which is looking good. Have to admit that I did not measure the action carefully until now, and it is a bit too low even for me...

post-1235-043265400 1325363985_thumb.jpg

post-1235-098463000 1325364148_thumb.jpg

post-1235-093465100 1325364159_thumb.jpg

Did the job. Looks better and what is more important sounds MUCH MUCH BETTER, like a guitar, not sitar! I can live with it now, neck reset can wait...Thanks again, "dupstar" and "ship of fools".

Archived