Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a screw up?

Bolek

So, in case you guys missed it, I did get a new Materbuilt cutaway from Gibson.....they did honor their warranty. It is a beautiful guitar and I'm joying playing it. This guitar has a factory installed strap button, but the location of it seems to be very bad. I had a hard time hooking up my favorite strap (too thick) on this button. To me it seems like a screw up.....I looked at other new Masterbuilds at Guitar Center and none of them had it in that same spot.....they were not the cutaway model.....

Also...is there anyway to find out what strings they install on this guitar?

post-35730-099503600 1325349576_thumb.jpg

Hello Bolek,

Can't say for sure that the placement of the strap button is in the wrong place for a Masterbuilt, but two of my Epiphones - AJ200SCE and PR5-E have the strap button in the same place. I do agree the location can make it difficult to put on a thick strap. Additionally I have other makes of guitars and the strap button was installed in the same location, so I would say that maybe where the manufactures are now locating the button. I don't think I was of much help, but good luck anyway.

Yep its not the best place for a strap button but thats just what they do at the factory, Just install one on the side where it will sit better and Bolek try different strings out you just never know which set will bring out the best highs and lows of the guitar its always going to be a hit and miss untill you fins just the right ones for your style of playing.ship

Getting ready to install my strap button soon. On a previous acoustic I used this position on the install. This way holds the guitar in a comfortable position and actually pulls your guitar towards you.

022.jpg

The tip of the heel strap button location is one, apparently, viable location. I've seen it and I don't like it.

This location seems to be better mechanically and ergonomically... in my not so humble opinion.

If it were me, I'd move the strap button to the side of the heel, then cover up the heel tip scar some how. Not sure how though.

Archived