Gibson Brands Forums

ES 175 bridge

dvd5300

I just bought a 1989 ES 175, mahogany back/side version. Really nice. However, the bridge on the guitar is not original. Does anyone know where I can buy a new bridge that is correct for this instrument? Thanks. BTW. Can anyone tell me more about these mahogany versions of the 175? What's your take on them.

I just bought a 1989 ES 175, mahogany back/side version. Really nice. However, the bridge on the guitar is not original. Does anyone know where I can buy a new bridge that is correct for this instrument? Thanks. BTW. Can anyone tell me more about these mahogany versions of the 175? What's your take on them.

I'm not positive, but the bridge should be an ABR-1 on top of a rosewood base. I have a 76' with that setup, and every newer one than that, that I've ever seen had that same setup.

I'm not positive, but the bridge should be an ABR-1 on top of a rosewood base. I have a 76' with that setup, and every newer one than that, that I've ever seen had that same setup.

That's pretty much what I am used to seeing, also.

Regards,

B)

J/W

Any ideas about where to by one? ebay?

If it were me, I would buy an original Gibson part. I grumble about the cost of them all the time, but - in the final analysis - they are the real deal and always look and fit right. You are going to want to make sure that the rosewood base is properly radiused to the top of your 175.

Bear in mind that I have friends on this Forum who tell me in private that I must have more money than brains... and that is perhaps true, but IMO, a fine old ES 175 (especially a mahogany one) deserves the best.

I'm curious: what have you got for a bridge now?

J/W

[confused]

Not sure of the make/model. It is the "roller" type bridge. It has an issue with the height adjustment screws. They're slightly bent (I think because they're not centered under the bridge - bad design) and the bridge leans slightly back. This gives the string tension a "pushing" effect on the bridge. It nudges the bridge forward slightly over a day or two, causing minor issue with tuning.

The other concept here, like you said, is to keep the Guitar fitted with proper Gibson parts. I'm not rolling in dough, but I don't mind spending $65 on a correct bridge to make it stay in tune and keep the intonation correct.

Thanks for your comments. I love this 175. While I was looking and seeing lots of 175's out there in the $4,000 range, many people on this forum said I could get one in the $2,000. I waited, looked and finally bought this one for $1,750. Dare I say I'm done searching for the perfect guitar? BTW. I have a nice 1978 Cherry 335 on ebay currently. Also very nice. Mint. Straight neck, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived