Gibson Brands Forums

High String set up

timathi54

Hi guys, I bought a Epiphone Thunderbird IV a few weeks back and it came with a rather high set up on the strings. I'm no techy so I'm really nervous about messing with the set up. It sounds amazing, it's just the strings are way higher than my Fender Jazz bass and find going from one guitar to the other I tend to get muddled until I've played one or the other for a while. Does anyone know a good technician who won't break my bank account for a good setup. I live in Bracknell, in Berkshire. I am of the belief that a good workman never blames his tools, but non the less it is a problem for me. Any suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated.Best regards, timathi54

Give it a go yourself. The only way to learn is to try. The worse thing that could happen is that you end up taking it to a guitar tech, which you planned to do anyway.

There is much more to a good setup than just string height, such as truss rod adjustment and setting intonation. All these factors work together to give you a good playing and sounding instrument. There is tons of information out there on how to do this yourself (web and books), and this is something every guitarist and bass player should know how to do themselves.

Not only will it save you a lot of money over the years, but a tech does not know just exactly how you prefer your instrument to play. After doing a few setups yourself, you will be the one and only expert on "your" setup.

The bridge on the T'Bird simply raises or lowers by turning the three mounting bolts. To lower it, turn clockwise. Lower each one the same amount until you start to start to get some fret buzzing (that's too low), then turn counter-clockwise to raise it until the buzzing goes away. That should make for a good setup and a very simple process that you can do yourself. You'll have to remove the bridge cover first, if it has one.

Archived