Gibson Brands Forums

Is this Rare?

wildwing

Hey folks out there in Gibson land. Just joined your forum group. I have a couple of Gibsons and one of them is a 1976/1978 (Can't remember the date) Gibson Les Paul Custom which has a Maple Fingerboard..NOT NECK!! Fingerboard/Fretboard. I have only seen one other and I was wondering if this type is that Rare. Phil X plays one on one of his you tube videos and that is the only other one I've seen to date. Maybe you guys could help with this one and let me know if anyone of you have spotted more. Oh by the way it is a Black Custom.

Exactly like this one, jeez man it could BE this one, I really don't know:

I will get some pictures up soon.

Cheers Guys

Stay well and thanks

Yes they are sort of rare, but they were commonly made in the mid to late 70's. I have had 4 of them in the last 10 years. I like them other than the weight. They are getting harder to find each year. I have had a 77, 2 -78's and a 79. In the last couple of years, Gibson Custom Shop has made a few runs of them as reissues, so you may find a more resent one from maybe 2007 to 2011.

Thanks for that. I've just been on there. I need more hours in the day just to get through all the bloody forums I've joined...Don't want to miss anything...suppose I'm just nosey at the end of the day!! Lol!!

Thanks again

Stay well

I don't know much about Norlins and there isn't much traffic in this forum. I suggest you sign up at the My Les Paul forum and post this question in the Norlin years.

WOW!! You had 4, that's amazing. Mine is my baby and I would rather sell my body than sell the Guitar......and let me tell you now, that my guitar is worth a lot more!! Lol!!

Stay well

Yes they are sort of rare, but they were commonly made in the mid to late 70's. I have had 4 of them in the last 10 years. I like them other than the weight. They are getting harder to find each year. I have had a 77, 2 -78's and a 79. In the last couple of years, Gibson Custom Shop has made a few runs of them as reissues, so you may find a more resent one from maybe 2007 to 2011.

I used to see these more often in the local guitar shops, maybe 8 - 10 years ago. You either loved them or hated them. Maple fingerboards are more closely associated with Fender of course, and some folks (including me) think those light boards look a little out of place on an LP.

These Customs still turn up but not as often as they did. I don't believe they command any more expense than an "regular" Custom from the same year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived