Gibson Brands Forums

Question about Lucille's pick-ups

Jackster21

I recently bought a Gibson B.B. King Lucille. I noticed it has two places to plug in. I've also noticed that when I plug into the bottom plug-in, only one of the pick-ups work. When I plug into the top plug-in, only the other pick-up works. Is this normal? Shouldn't both pickups work at the same time without having to plug into both plug-ins?

I'm confused.

Thanks,

J.

I recently bought a Gibson B.B. King Lucille. I noticed it has two places to plug in. I've also noticed that when I plug into the bottom plug-in, only one of the pick-ups work. When I plug into the top plug-in, only the other pick-up works. Is this normal? Shouldn't both pickups work at the same time without having to plug into both plug-ins?

I'm confused.

Thanks,

J.

"Lucille" is wired for "stereo!" But, the bottom most plug-in (closest to the back),

is mono, and should work, as any Gibson 2 pickup guitar would. The more forward plug,

works only the "bridge" pickup. To get the "Stereo" aspect, one needs a split "Y" cord

(both ends) (or two separate cords), into two amps, at a decent distance apart, to be able

to hear the stereo effect. My Ric 12-strings have that Stereo feature (although it's a bit

different), as well. The Gibson ES-345 and ES-355 "Stereo" guitars do, as well. There are

models, of both ES-345 and 355 that are only Mono, if you order them, that way. But, as

"Lucille" is based on an ES-355 Stereo, it's wired accordingly.

CB

Thanks y'all. I have a Lab Series amp (L5) that has two channels. Would it hurt anything to plug into both channels at the same time?

No...you just may not get/hear much "stereo" sound, as it's coming from the same speaker. Lots of folks

plug their guitar cord, into the high gain input, and a patch chord, from the low gain input (same channel)

to the high (or low) input, into their 2nd channel, for some extra tone/boost. I do that, with my older Fenders,

quite often. Used to do it, on my old Plexi (4 input) Marshall Major, as well. So, no...it won't hurt the amp, any.

But, yeah...you could put a "Y" chord, into each channel, with the smaller "Y" at the guitar end. Or...two seperate cords, altogether.

Try it...you might like it! :rolleyes:

CB

I don't think it hurts.....could be fun...

does the second channel have it's own knobs ?

Any chance to show some pics of your B.B.King like equipment ?

I can't currently. The guitar and amp are several hundred miles apart and I don't have any pics saved.

Each channel has its own EQ. One is extensive, and the other has a basic "high", "mid" and "low" EQ. Each one also has a "High" and "Low" input. I've used it to play everything from Jazz to Country.

Archived