Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone les paul custom vs studio deluxe

sm.kralik

Ok, so I'm sure you've probably heard this a bunch of times but I'm trying to figure out the difference between the studio deluxe and the custom les pauls. So far all I've got is cosmetics: different finish, bindings, etc. I might also mention that I'm new in guitar playing, I started playing about 6 months ago on an accoustic in Afghanistan. Now I'm better, and would like to try out an electric. I played the Les paul custom at guitar center the other day and I was blown away, but if the studio deluxe sounds the same, then I'm wondering if I shouldn't get that...another thing to mention, I'm either going to get the line 6 spider iv 15 watt amp, or the peavey vypyr 15 amp...any personal prefrences or opinions to give me? The custom also comes with a free boss ds-1 distortion pedal, is it worth getting with the above amps mentioned.

Thanks a lot,

Steve

I'm trying to figure out the difference between the studio deluxe and the custom les pauls. So far all I've got is cosmetics: different finish, bindings, etc.

Steve,

Welcome to the forum!

By Studio Deluxe you are referring to?...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-limited-edition-les-paul-studio-deluxe-electric-guitar

AFAIK you have hit the nail on the head. If you are talking straight up Epi Custom (not the 3 pickup Black beauty) cosmetics is the only difference I see.

I do see that the Limited Edition Studio Deluxe has Vintage Kluson tuners...again, that could be considered cosmetic.

As you have a G.C. you can visit, you may want to decide how important a neck binding is to you. They make little difference to me, but, they are important to some in terms of comfort. The LP Standards are also good guitars.

If I'm missing anything I hope other members will correct me.

As to amps I'm sure others can help more than I can.

I'm still playing through an old workhorse tube amp from the 70's.

Willy

Archived