Gibson Brands Forums

What have I got here?

Monte

I've had this guitar since 84 when my Dad passed away. I've never really known what to say, when someonbe asks what model it is. I think it may be a Southern Jumbo, but not sure.

Dad bought it in 58 according to what my Mom remembers. The FON on the neck block is F4395-8. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks

post-39357-085504300 1326668789_thumb.jpg

I've had this guitar since 84 when my Dad passed away. I've never really known what to say, when someonbe asks what model it is. I think it may be a Southern Jumbo, but not sure.

Dad bought it in 58 according to what my Mom remembers. The FON on the neck block is F4395-8. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Are you sure that is an F? Could it actually be an R? F doesn't seem right. It should be a letter Q-Z judging by the appointments. The pick guard is clearly not original but has the look of a late 60s pg. It also looks to be refinished so maybe the owner had someone make a pg for it when it was refinished. Cool guitar!

I apologize for not being more exact on my discription. My uncle told me, that indeed my Dad had it refinished in the early 70's,. He had drug it around since the 50's picking in bars and stuff with the crappy cardboard case my Mom bought him for Christmas in 59. Apparently, he bought it used in 58...hawked my Moms sewing machine to do it ! lol...that din't go over too well. The tuners were upgraded...they were Klusen style ivory knobs and the pick guard was changed as well.

He also said that it used to be dark, like a tobbaco sunburst. The FON does start with an F however.

I appreciate all the input, and knowledge on this forum, for helping me sort this out.

Thanks again.

post-39357-070760100 1326725255_thumb.jpg

post-39357-062381200 1326725354_thumb.jpg

That almost looks like a water-based varnish finish, since it's so milky-looking. Also, what's happening on the inside of the guitar? It looks monochrome, almost like it is spray-painted gray inside.

The other thing that caught my eye is the area of discoloration on the back of the headstock, suspiciously close to the location where you might find a neck/headstock fracture.

It looks like someone has taken some liberties with this old girl over the years. Given the changes, it might be a good candidate for a "proper" re-finishing/

That almost looks like a water-based varnish finish, since it's so milky-looking. Also, what's happening on the inside of the guitar? It looks monochrome, almost like it is spray-painted gray inside.

The other thing that caught my eye is the area of discoloration on the back of the headstock, suspiciously close to the location where you might find a neck/headstock fracture.

It looks like someone has taken some liberties with this old girl over the years. Given the changes, it might be a good candidate for a "proper" re-finishing/

The inside looks normal...bad lighting in the photo, also the back of the neck looked weird in the pic too, but nothing there really.

I would like to have it refinished. What and who do you all recommend? Gibson?

Monte, do you live near any reliable music stores with some vintage knowledge? I would have it checked out for authenticity befor spending a bunch of money on it. Is it playable? How does it sound? Your pictures do little to bring us any 'valuable information' at this point....Jes' Sayin'

Rod

I know...they are not the best photos in the world. The guitar plays great, and sounds killer....Big open and woody. There is much sentimental value to me, since it was my Dad's and it was such a part of his life.

I am Talking with Gibson now, to see what is possible.

I do appreciate all ya'll with your input and insight. Maybe if I can afford to have it redone...I'll post those pics here as well.

thanks so much again

I know...they are not the best photos in the world. The guitar plays great, and sounds killer....Big open and woody. There is much sentimental value to me, since it was my Dad's and it was such a part of his life.

I am Talking with Gibson now, to see what is possible.

I do appreciate all ya'll with your input and insight. Maybe if I can afford to have it redone...I'll post those pics here as well.

thanks so much again

FYI, a top refinish in sunburst, by someone who knows what he is doing, should cost about $400-600, including removing the old pickguard and stripping the top. Natural finish in proper nitrocellulose lacquer a bit less. Much depends on the nature and depth of any dings, etc. Cutting and installing a pickguard to a proper design, about $100.

Archived