Gibson Brands Forums

True Vintage vs, Historic Collection

Snapper Jones

Hey gang,

To say I'm totally confused by how Gibson classifies their acoustics would be a gross understatement. I've run across a few used models that I'm considering for purchase. Can someone please explain to me what the difference is b/w the Historic Collection models and the True Vintage models?

tx!

Can someone please explain to me what the difference is b/w the Historic Collection models and the True Vintage models?

Historic Collection vs True Vintage is apples vs oranges. "Historic Collection" was used for awhile prior to 2007 to designate models based on classic Gibson models of the '60s and earlier. So the "Historic Collection" comprised J-45s and J-200s and AJs and the like, but not LCs and whatever the ancestor of the current Songwriter was called at the time. As a general rule, a "Historic Collection" label indicates that the guitar is not a custom, since the "Custom Shop" decal goes in the same spot. But there are upgraded Historic Collection limited editions. (For example, I have a 2002 Historic Collection 60th Anniversary Southern Jumbo with an Adi top, Braz fretboard and bridge, gold tuners, etc.) "True Vintage" was introduced in 2007 to designate "higher end" versions of "Modern Classic" (now called "Standard") models: more lightly built, often differently braced, more traditional-looking hardware, no pickup (since there's no way they can know, if you want a pickup, which one you prefer).

While it is not completely wrong to say that the typical Historic Collection guitar looks like a TV and sounds like a Standard, this isn't a very reliable rule (even as Gibson rules go).

-- Bob

Said it before, will gladly do it again : My 2010 J-45 and my friends Historic Collection are both J-45's alright, but so different when it comes to nature.

Another Standard I had briefly was more like mine.

A little pattern there. Don't know about your possibilities to try many guitars, but it sounds as if you already compared a few.

Short - If you're after the 45 sound, forget about the TV, Modern Classic, Historic Collection and Standard concepts and go for the sound and feel.

This echos my latest post in the Only a Gibson is Good Enough thread. Code-word is Soul Connection.

Archived