Gibson Brands Forums

Starplayer TV....does Epi make anything sonically close?

Surfer

Perhaps an Epi Wildkat......Or an Epi 339 or Dot modded with a Bigsby and different pickups..........:-k ...

Construction wise the ES-339 will come closest to the Starplayer TV I guess. However there are some details that contribute to the special sound and excellent playability of a Starplayer TV: Long scale (650mm/25,6"), one piece maple neck with PLEK machined fretboard and nut, Duesenberg pickups, Duesenberg deluxe Tremola with tilting bridge.

As Damian said modding an ES-339 with Duesenberg pickups and Duesenberg deluxe Tremola might work out well. Thanks for pointing me on that, might be an interesting project.

From my own experience (I own both the Starplayer TV and a couple of Epiphone ES type guitars) the closest I ever came to a Starplayer TV with an Epiphone was when I modded my Riviera Limited Edition. Put on Grover Super Rotomatics, a Graphtec nut, a Bigsby B7, Goeldo (Duesenberg) roller bridge, and a pair of Gretsch Filtertron HS pickups. Then the guitar got a complete setup including fret dress from my favorite guitar tech. Played unamplified that guitar has an expressive, sparkling tone pretty similar to the Starplayer TV.

This mod was done before I acquired the Starplayer TV. If I had to do the mods on the Riviera again, I surely would use different parts: Duesenberg deluxe Tremola instead Bigsby B7. The Duesenberg Tremola is far superior in terms of tuning stability, response and construction. String change is much easier, and the Duesenberg Tremola is way cheaper than a B7 (at least here in Germany). For the pickups I would go with the Duesenberg Domino/Grand Vintage (this are the pickups mounted on the Starplayer TV and a couple of other Duesenberg guitars). The price is similar to the Gibson P-94/490T pickups.

But be aware that an Epiphone, no matter how much you modify it, never will be a full replacement for a Duesenberg Starplayer TV. So far I have found nothing that fully compares to the real thing (apart from buying another Starplayer TV). The Starplayer TV is just a great, great guitar, and given its awesome build quality, sound and playability it is excellent value for money.

Great post Longman............[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] ...........I've never played a Duesenberg, but every time I see one played live or on video,

they sure look to be top-notch guitars.........And the "Tremola" does have some advanced trem features.......

Great post Longman............[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] ...........I've never played a Duesenberg, but every time I see one played live or on video,

they sure look to be top-notch guitars.........

Indeed, see e.g. this video about the Starplayer TV Outlaw (the top is coated with alligator tolex... [woot] One of my favorite finishes [love] )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mw1FpTcmyQ

Mine is in Creamy Pearl, aka MOT (Mother of Toilet Seat) finish, see HNGD Starplayer TV

sptv1.jpg

And the "Tremola" does have some advanced trem features.......

Speaking about the Tremola: There is also a short version available, the counterpart of the Bigsby B5.

3625c.jpg

http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?cat=WG073&lang=ENG&product=3625C%2F3625A%2F3625G&sid3=12b9cb6abfd54ab7d56adff4f4cc15a7

With an adapter like this you can mount the short Tremola on the bushings of a standard stop tailpiece:

3628c.jpg

http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?cat=WG073&lang=ENG&product=3628C&sid3=12b9cb6abfd54ab7d56adff4f4cc15a7

Might be useful when modding e.g. an ES-339. A friend of mine mounted the short Tremola on a Gibby Les Paul Custom, and it works just great.

Wow...........Great link......I'm in the USA......The exchange rate is favorable right now......You state that the trems are equal to Bigsbys,

and that they work great......I'm a Bigsby ho.......These are cheaper than them.....Hmmm....Maybe I'll try out a couple of these...........

Longman, I prefer a good solid contact....I'm thinking, I could mount the Tremola on the adapter, AND screw the adapter directly to

the guitar body...( Gibby Les Pauls and S.G.s......) Any thoughts ??? ( And thank you )................Damian......

Wow...........Great link......I'm in the USA......The exchange rate is favorable right now......You state that the trems are equal to Bigsbys

Not equal, but similar in size and look. I don't think you can exchange a Duesenberg Tremola with a Bigsby 1:1. The mounting hole pattern is different.

and that they work great......

Yes. I have both Bigsby B7 (in combination with a roller bridge) and Duesenberg Tremola equipped guitars. The Duesenberg is superior in terms of operation and tuning stability from my experience. The arm is adjustable and can be 360° rotated. The look is a matter of taste, but I like the Duesenberg style pretty much.

I'm a Bigsby ho.......These are cheaper than them.....Hmmm....Maybe I'll try out a couple of these...........

I would start with one, and see if it matches your expectations.

Longman, I prefer a good solid contact....I'm thinking, I could mount the Tremola on the adapter, AND screw the adapter directly to

the guitar body...( Gibby Les Pauls and S.G.s......) Any thoughts ??? ( And thank you )................Damian......

I would not recommend to screw the adapter directly to an arched Les Pauls top (also not to an ES type guitar). That would look odd, and force the Tremola in a position where it most likely does not operate as expected. The adapter is a great option if you want keep the option of reversing the guitar back to stop tail piece. The adapter doesn't need any additional screws apart from the ones that go into the existing tail piece bushings.

If you don't trust the tail piece bushing mount, better use the long Tremola (similar to the Bigsby B7), like a Gibson Les Paul with Bigsby B7. On flat tops like SG and Les Paul Special/Junior I would rather mount the short Tremola directly to the body, without using the adapter. However that depends on the particular guitar, there's no general guideline what is wrong or right.

never heard a user complain and i think they are neat and all, but their origins and pricing don't sit right with me. if they are made in korea, don't present them (and much less charge for them) as if they were made in germany. though to be fair, they are assembled in germany. hofner has a mik/mig line of guitars also, but they go for less than their real mig stuff, not to mention a doozy.

and must they all have p90s in the neck?

all that aside, i don't mind them. there's a reason they have such a cult going. that mop guitar is a fascinating little number.

you could doozy up most any guitar, as their pickups, trems, bridges and what not are for sale through their website. at those prices, though... maybe just save up for one.

This mod was done before I acquired the Starplayer TV. If I had to do the mods on the Riviera again, I surely would use different parts: Duesenberg deluxe Tremola instead Bigsby B7. The Duesenberg Tremola is far superior in terms of tuning stability, response and construction. String change is much easier, and the Duesenberg Tremola is way cheaper than a B7 (at least here in Germany). For the pickups I would go with the Duesenberg Domino/Grand Vintage (this are the pickups mounted on the Starplayer TV and a couple of other Duesenberg guitars). The price is similar to the Gibson P-94/490T pickups.

But be aware that an Epiphone, no matter how much you modify it, never will be a full replacement for a Duesenberg Starplayer TV. So far I have found nothing that fully compares to the real thing (apart from buying another Starplayer TV). The Starplayer TV is just a great, great guitar, and given its awesome build quality, sound and playability it is excellent value for money.

Great great guitar.....that describes it.

I bought a CD by Hillsong and my reaction to the opening notes on "Rise" www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVm6no4ycjY

made me sit up straight and exclaim to myself "what guitar is that?"

What a beautiful chime with bloom and a bit of bite to it. I'm surprised the rest of the guitar making world hasn't stood up

and taken notice. I'll look into their pickups though...thanks for the tip. I guess the Riviera has the resonance that is similar. I'll check one

out at the store.

Thanks for all the contributions so far...didn't expect all the help I'd get!

Archived