Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone ET-290 Parts

GATLIN

I have an Ephiphone ET-290 that I inherited from my dad and would like to refurbish it with original parts if possible.

Does anyone know of a good source for replacement parts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post-40084-092258200 1327337935_thumb.jpg

I would say that the only place you're going to find original parts is on eBay or some other auction/used parts site. As it's a pretty old guitar those parts are bound to be sold at "collectors item" prices regardless of how good or bad they were. As I remember, the hardware/pickups on those 70's Epi's weren't anything special. Fitting it out with non-original (most likely better) parts wouldn't be too difficult with the exception of the scratchplate which you'd probably have to have made.

I would say that the only place you're going to find original parts is on eBay or some other auction/used parts site. As it's a pretty old guitar those parts are bound to be sold at "collectors item" prices regardless of how good or bad they were. As I remember, the hardware/pickups on those 70's Epi's weren't anything special. Fitting it out with non-original (most likely better) parts wouldn't be too difficult with the exception of the scratchplate which you'd probably have to have made.

I would also recommend this route. I owned a similar guitar and IMO not worth the time, effort and money to kit it out in original parts. Get some nice humbuckers in there, decent electrics and some stable tuners and you'll be a lot happier than the stock guitar I owned...

Repro guards are available on eBay and in 10 years of eBay searches I've never seen a set of these knobs on the Market alone. They had a V and T on them for volume and tone.

Thanks guys for your comments. I actually have the kickplate and knobs from the original. I just want to get it back in working condition (I gutted it myself as the pickups received some water damage in a minor flood at my parents and did not work) so my kids can enjoy it and keep it around for awhile.

I appreciate your help.

Sounds like you won't have much problem getting this back in action. The only complaints about mine was tuning stability and humbuckers were a bit weak in output and tone but I have a friend with the exact same model and his sounds nice and fat with a great bright tone. I think the only consistencies with the quality of 70s Epiphones is that they're now very inconsistent. Time, heat, use, abuse etc

Archived