Gibson Brands Forums

A Vintage Marshall Gov'nor Clone?

bluesguitar65

Well, today went to Guitar Center, yes again, during my lunch break and happened to plug into this distortion pedal. Its the Seymour Duncan Power Grid. This thing is built like a German Tiger Tank, and pretty heavy, 95% of it is 16 gauge metal, you wouldn't want to be under this guy during an earth quake. Anyways, this pedal has a thick, heavy distortion, but not at all mushy and muddy. Its got three active tone controls and the tone and control features remind me of an 80s Marshall Gov'nor distortion pedal. Has anyone tried this pedal out yet? GC has many of the SD pedals on clearance. The power grid was $49. So far, I've purchased three SD pedals in two days [flapper] [flapper] [flapper]

npd1.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2012-01-23

npd3.jpg

npd2m.jpg

Yeah sometimes I forget whats vintage today is pedals I purchased and though they suk'd new a few decades ago........... [confused]

I would like to pick up a old Marshal soak though.

Not sure if its the Tom Scholz "power soak" attenuator you are referring to, but I remember those. The one Marshall made was called the Power Brakes. They were popular back in the early 80s, I had one. Used it on my early 70s Marshall JMPs. Man, those were great gear back then. I regret selling the power soak, but thank god I kept the Marshalls.

Ah, the good old days...back when we could still get pedals 'Made in Japan'.

Well, I guess 20 years for a pedal is a long time. so is 30.

And yes sir, they DID suck back then.

Yup! If you still have those cheap pedals from the 80s, then you maybe sitting on a treasure. As many pedals from that era and earlier are very sought after. BTW...you can still get pedals made in Japan. The Ibanez TS9 is still made in Japan from what I know.

Yup! If you still have those cheap pedals from the 80s, then you maybe sitting on a treasure. As many pedals from that era and earlier are very sought after. BTW...you can still get pedals made in Japan. The Ibanez TS9 is still made in Japan from what I know.

Yea...in the 80's, pedals (mainly BOSS) were considered to be good, as in not cheap. The 70's pedals mostly were seen as cheap back then, because they had issues making them difficult to use, of just broke.

I don't think the import stuff is all that bad (pedals), but the Japanese stuff is definitely better.

I think NOW, pedals are better than ever, because you got people taking all the best and coolest stuff from all eras and making them without issues. You could have a 70's pedal built better than an 80's pedal.

Archived