Gibson Brands Forums

61 SGs sideways vibrato, Bigsby, stoptail

Shaker

Almost all of the photos of 61 SGs I have seen are those of the guitars with sideways vibrato. I saw one or two with Bigsby. Did they really make 61 SGs with stoptail (as in many of the 61 SG RIs they sell now)? How about 62 SGs? Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.

I've heard of the occasional EXTREMELY rare custom-ordered stop-tail original early 60's Standard or Custom, yet I've never seen one in pictures or in person. Now, your Juniors and Specials obviously could come "vibrola-less", but Standards and Customs are a different thing. Which continues to baffle me as to why "reissues" are sans-vibrola. I like the OPTION of a stop-tail, but it would be extremely cool of Gibson to reintroduce the long (and short, what the hay) Maestro as an standard option on reissue-type SG's. Bigsby's are cool (and I've even thought of trying to have myself a Mick Taylor style reissue custom made through the Custom Shop, if they'd fix the body on it too), but let's forget the terrible sideways vibrola ever existed. Have you ever tried to play around with one of those??? My lord, that is a wretched piece of hardware...lol

So what do you say, Gibson? ;)

H-Bomb

PS...Is Gibson gonna' answer my receding-beveling question?

Archived