Gibson Brands Forums

early 60's gibson sg jr

Jay_Taylor

Hello everyone my name is Jason, new to the message board. I have a few questions about the Jr.. First i will tell you what i know of the guitar. The headstock on the guitar was cracked and repaired with glued and and 3 screws. Also the it was orginaly cherry but now is a stain color brown.. finish is not very good..done by owner when he was younger..about 20 years ago. guitar has original hardware and pickup but are not in the guitar at this time. Owner has been very open about the guitar, he is 30 year guitar vet himself.. i do trust him that he telling me what he knows about. The owner verifyed the serial number with gibson. and guitar was confirmed to be built between 1964-1967. I played this guitar for hours and loved how it felt when playing.. like reuniting with an old friend..it was awesome.. My question: Is the guitar worth having a professional resto done? The owner is offering to sell the guitar to me for 400-500.. Is it worth that much? If i do purchase the guitar i told owner i will never re-sell it. It will stay in my family forever.

Thanks for your time, pleasure to meet everyone,

Jason Taylor

Hello everyone my name is Jason, new to the message board. I have a few questions about the Jr.. First i will tell you what i know of the guitar. The headstock on the guitar was cracked and repaired with glued and and 3 screws. Also the it was orginaly cherry but now is a stain color brown.. finish is not very good..done by owner when he was younger..about 20 years ago. guitar has original hardware and pickup but are not in the guitar at this time. Owner has been very open about the guitar, he is 30 year guitar vet himself.. i do trust him that he telling me what he knows about. The owner verifyed the serial number with gibson. and guitar was confirmed to be built between 1964-1967. I played this guitar for hours and loved how it felt when playing.. like reuniting with an old friend..it was awesome.. My question: Is the guitar worth having a professional resto done? The owner is offering to sell the guitar to me for 400-500.. Is it worth that much? If i do purchase the guitar i told owner i will never re-sell it. It will stay in my family forever.

Thanks for your time, pleasure to meet everyone,

Jason Taylor

I would not do it, however ...

If this guitar was in original and clean but played condition, could be worth $2,500 to $3,500 ... maybe a little more with OHC. But if it's in the condition you described, but you have all the original parts, it's probably worth at least $500 with OHC. Not sure what a high-quality restoration job (fix headstock crack, possible refret, reinstall electronics, correct any routing issues, refinish, etc) would cost but it could go over $1k. And there are amazing repair guys out there who could really turn this guitar around. So, if you sank at least $1.5k in this guitar (purchase price + repairs) you could have a nice restored guitar but it's resale value would be flat. On the other hand, if you really want one of these models from the early 60's, shop around, bet you can find a clean original, but well-played, SG Jr. from this period for well less than $3k.

Just curious, is the original p/up a dog-ear or soapbar mount P-90?

Good luck to ye

HELLO everyone.. WEll i caught up with the guy who has the guitar.. he couldnt find the original parts to guitar,plus under closer observation the other side of the headstock is cracking just like the other side.. so i started to examine a little closer.. i aske the guy how he replaced the tuners.. he drilled more holes for the gibson deluxe tuners... which is what caused the right side of the headstock to break off now the same thing is happening to left side.... the problem is the drilled holes to close to the original holes.. so you have 2 new holes drilled along side the original 2.. which gives you double the amount of holes.. and then with tension..CRACK!!! .. the guy ruined the guitar..instead of putting the original style in or having it professionaly done.. he choose to do it himself.. not a good idea.. so with that, he also couldnt find the orginal parts.. and he wanted 600 with aftermarket case.. I choose to pass...i purschased a new one.. ill keep it forever..

Archived