Gibson Brands Forums

Humbuckers in a 60s tribute SG?

Dr. Solomon

Greetings,

I've got a 60s tribute SG and I'd like to change its pickups from P90s to humbuckers in a non-destructive manner (I don't want to have to alter the body). Is this possible, and if so, which humbuckers will fit the P90 slot? I really like the sound of the P90s clean, but when I add some OD or distortion the noise is a little too much. I realize I could try to just sell this and get an SG standard (which I would love), but I don't have the funds for this at present.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

This has been cover many time in the SG & LP forums, Mini Humbuckers with do the trick as well as some other P90 sized ones, you wont fit a regular HB in there without take out some wood. Guitar Fetish has some nice mini's at good price to try out, Dimarzio also make a P90 type HB. I like the GF Fat Mini's with the Alnico V mag. You could get just one for the bridge and leave the P90 in the neck.

Greetings,

I've got a 60s tribute SG and I'd like to change its pickups from P90s to humbuckers in a non-destructive manner (I don't want to have to alter the body). Is this possible, and if so, which humbuckers will fit the P90 slot? I really like the sound of the P90s clean, but when I add some OD or distortion the noise is a little too much. I realize I could try to just sell this and get an SG standard (which I would love), but I don't have the funds for this at present.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Just keep in mind the cost of the new pups plus the sale ( or trade in )of the Tribute....It may just come fairly close to a new or used Standard.

Archived