Gibson Brands Forums

Neck shave

prakashananda

I want a historic but I want a neck down to the size of a Page CA or maybe a USA Classic. Is this possible on the newer models? I have heard that there are limits to how thin you can go on some of the historic necks. Admin, please advise. Thanks.

Yes, I know this would void the warranty...

You could always do what I did... Get a USA Classic in honeyburst, from there just get aged hardware from GSGuitarworks.com and put it on. I bought aged gold stuff from eBay and I get people every time I play out asking me "Is that a Real '58". Besides, the 496R and 500T are too much power for me without the covers, but none-the-less fantastic sounding pickups. If you would like pics, just ask.

You could always do what I did... Get a USA Classic in honeyburst' date=' from there just get aged hardware from GSGuitarworks.com and put it on. I bought aged gold stuff from eBay and I get people every time I play out asking me "Is that a Real '58". Besides, the 496R and 500T are too much power for me without the covers, but none-the-less fantastic sounding pickups. If you would like pics, just ask.[/quote']

but that wouldn't give him what he wants either. there are TONS of differences between a classic and historic. i'm assuming it wants it to be more than just a guitar that looks like one.

to answer the original question: maybe.

it depends on how thing you really want to go and what model you start with.

when they install the truss rod, it is done so that it is as close to the backside of the neck as possible. if you shave too much, you will hit it. there is really a lot less wood between you and it than most people think.

so, if you start with a '58 RI then you won't be able to get even close to a Page type profile. if you start with a R0 you might.

risky business though.

You could always do what I did... Get a USA Classic in honeyburst' date=' from there just get aged hardware from GSGuitarworks.com and put it on. I bought aged gold stuff from eBay and I get people every time I play out asking me "Is that a Real '58". Besides, the 496R and 500T are too much power for me without the covers, but none-the-less fantastic sounding pickups. If you would like pics, just ask.[/quote']

Cool idea and I appreciate that - I have a Classic myself and the problem is the need to upgrade the guitar, but keep with the thin neck.

but that wouldn't give him what he wants either. there are TONS of differences between a classic and historic. i'm assuming it wants it to be more than just a guitar that looks like one.

to answer the original question: maybe.

it depends on how thing you really want to go and what model you start with.

when they install the truss rod' date=' it is done so that it is as close to the backside of the neck as possible. if you shave too much, you will hit it. there is really a lot less wood between you and it than most people think.

so, if you start with a '58 RI then you won't be able to get even close to a Page type profile. if you start with a R0 you might.

risky business though.[/quote']

Appreciate this response. Yeah, it's tough to figure out how far I can go. Rule of thumb is going to be get a G0/R0 unless I hear something from an admin that tells me I can go thin enough on an R9 or higher...

you won't be able to get a R8 size down to a classic. you can probably do it with a R0 or G0. are those really not thin enough to start with? sometimes just spending some time with them is all it takes. a little change is good.

i have guitars with all sorts of different neck profiles. there is one that i like the best, but i can adapt to all of them.

Archived