Gibson Brands Forums

1960 Melody Maker

Big Daddy

I own a 1960 MM that was handed down from my Grandpa. It is the full size, single pickup and yellow sunburst top. In great shape. I even have the original case. But it is in rough shape. I have gigged this guitar out many times and get a lot of comments. They seem to bring a premiun price these days. My question is how much did this guitar sell for when it was new? And no. I am not interested in selling at any price. This guitar is going to stay in the family.

Thanks,

Big Daddy

• 2 weeks later...

In 1960 the MSRP was $99.00 for a new Melody Maker with a single pick-up. To put this in perspective.......back in 1960 the average price for a gallon of gasoline was around.31 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

I own a 1960 MM that was handed down from my Grandpa. It is the full size, single pickup and yellow sunburst top. In great shape. I even have the original case. But it is in rough shape. I have gigged this guitar out many times and get a lot of comments. They seem to bring a premiun price these days. My question is how much did this guitar sell for when it was new? And no. I am not interested in selling at any price. This guitar is going to stay in the family.

Thanks,

Big Daddy

I just picked up a 1960 MM yesterday but it didn't come with a case. Could you post some pictures of yours?

• 2 weeks later...

The cases for the Jr's and MM's back then were useless at best. They were practically made of cardboard. The "alligator" case, if I'm not mistaken. The one for my '64 was so beat up, I just threw it in the attic and bought a nice hardshell.

Archived