Gibson Brands Forums

ES355 custom

uriahsmusic

I have owned many guitars and am about to buy Gibson es355 that had a broken neck and was fixed by a

Gibson authorized repair person. My question is how do people usual break these Gibson necks? Do the guitars fall or do the hit the guitar on something or do they just snap? What is the story with Gibson necks breaking?

Guest EastEnder

I'm going to guess the neck broke about where it meets the headstock, right?

Not too uncommon with the thin area of mahogany at that point. A good whack against the wall will do it. It's been said that a properly repaired headstock/neck break is stronger than the wood itself.

The neck/headstock profile is sawn from a single piece of mahogany. The weakness is where the headstock pitches back and exposes the end grain. Unfortunately it's not often protected by the veneer covering the headstock face. Scarf joints in that area help, but Gibson doesn't use them.

My tuppence.

Good luck with the guitar.

I'm going to guess the neck broke about where it meets the headstock, right?

Not too uncommon with the thin area of mahogany at that point. A good whack against the wall will do it. It's been said that a properly repaired headstock/neck break is stronger than the wood itself.

The neck/headstock profile is sawn from a single piece of mahogany. The weakness is where the headstock pitches back and exposes the end grain. Unfortunately it's not often protected by the veneer covering the headstock face. Scarf joints in that area help, but Gibson doesn't use them.

My tuppence.

Good luck with the guitar.

thanx for answering...the guitar is beautiful but buying it knowing that as soon as I buy it, I will not be able to sell it easily kind of bothers me. It only costs 1500 as opposed to the original 3000. sigh!

Guest EastEnder

thanx for answering...the guitar is beautiful but buying it knowing that as soon as I buy it, I will not be able to sell it easily kind of bothers me. It only costs 1500 as opposed to the original 3000. sigh!

Yes, I think it would be a hard sell. It's a bit "tainted," if you know what I mean. I'd pass, but it's your call. Is the guitar black (i.e., the repair is invisible)?

You could buy mine, but it wouldn't be $1500. Then again, I haven't fully decided to sell.

es1.jpg

I was at a friend's house when he walked behind his Les Paul which was sitting, almost vertical, on a stand. It fell forward in what seemed to be slow motion. Both of us rushed to grab it but it landed flat on the carpet breaking at the nut. Not a dry eye in the house.[crying]

That's been a notorious weak spot on Gibsons with mahogany necks for decades. Starting around '69 they tried to reinforce it with a "volute", a raised bit right at the angle, and trying three peice necks. The features were not received well and over time they realized the necks would break just as easily in that spot if abused. Usually the guitar falls and the back of the peghead hits first. A local guy had his SG blow off a stand at an outdoor gig. Easily repaired but a resale killer. Buy it only if you plan to keep it a while

Archived