Gibson Brands Forums

To cover or uncover?

Vega1

I just picked up a Les Paul Studio deluxe 50's yesterday, which I *love*. But here's my question.

I really like the look of covered pickups more than uncovered, however I love the sound of this guitar as is. Will covering the pickups (with chrome covers) affect the sound in any appreciable way?

I understand the question is subjective and have looked at the debate on other sites, but I'm interested in what people here think.

Thanks

First off, congrats on your new guitar............These days, if I buy a guitar with covered pickups, I leave them covered, and usually the same if it came with

uncovered.......The exception being Epiphone pickups which I usually change out for genuine Gibson, Wolfetone, Lollar, or other uber quality pickups.......

Sure, the tone changes a little bit.......The cover also ( to a small degree ) eliminates a bit of interference......An important factor is if the cover is genuine

nickel silver or not.....AllParts sells genuine nickel silver covers ( not uber cheap )......I've been meaning to finish research on the subject to get my facts

correct on the nickel silver issue, as well as if Gibson uses genuine nickel covers as well....So, IMHO, cover them if you want to............

Just for fun I made the attached to show what the look would be with the black trim covered and uncovered (and from the factory for reference). That seals it, visually there is no question, covered all the way. Now I just need to find out if sonically it would be an issue for me or not.

post-40883-094976400 1329764427_thumb.jpg

I am partial to cream/covered. I know its a personal choice. I think the covers would make a 'slight' difference. Very slight though. At one time, it was magic mojo to remove the covers. To my liking, I have never liked the 'look' of exposed coil humbuckers....never!

Archived