Gibson Brands Forums

Question about Collecting

Doctan

Hi folks, just a quick question, and Was wondering, Are most vintage, and collectible, and vintage Les Paul's acquired privately?

Or would i ever find one hanging at my guitar store, where the authenticity is done already (I would hope)

I am 45, and, just started taking lessons again, I have been playing for many years, but only acoustic strumming, country stuff etc, and I guess I am going thu my mid life crises as my wife says, and want to "rock on!) and start playing some Frampton I have been hearing horror stories bout some folks purchasing Gibson LP's, and finding out that they have been altered, a copy has been lets say stamped with a false "Made In USA", and people are not getting the true deal Gibson Les Paul.

Been reading some threads in the counterfeit threads, and there is great info there, but I just wanted to see if someone had some direct advise.

thanks!

:)

While there are loads of vintage guitar dealers big and small, I think the vast majority of vintage guitar sales are private sales.

How much are you thinking about spending? $1K? Maybe $2k?

If you're planning to spend more, maybe a lot more, and go after vintage Les Paul's, Custom's, Junior's, and Special's from the 50's and early 60's you had better read up and learn up as much as much as you can before throwing money around. The vintage guitar road can be bumpy sometimes if you're not paying close attention. It's hard to trust what some people tell you. Try to attend a few of the big national guitar shows and look at and play guitars plus talk to dealers about them. Join a few forums (Les Paul Forum, UMGF, etc.). Most of the bigger Guitar Center stores have "vintage" rooms where you can play vintage guitars apart from the mantic fray as well as ask detailed questions. If you find a vintage guitar you like, whether from a dealer or individual, always get an approval period so you can check the guitar out carefully, and I would strongly suggest getting the hands-on help of a 3rd party expert to inspect and evaluate. It'll cost something, but that kind of advice can make the difference. While you're at it get a current copy of Vintage Guitar Price Guide.

Good luck, enjoy the ride

I think if you are seriously considering buying a vintage LP (and spending big $$) then you should find a reputable dealer and buy from them. Too many scams on eBay & CL to be sure you're getting something good. The LP is probably the most copied and faked guitar out there and I've seen some really good fakes. You should look through gBase and find an LP that's in your price range and speak to the dealer directly.

• 3 weeks later...

My question is very much in line with Doctan's. If you can hold a vintage Gibson in your hand and read a serial number, is there some database somewhere that would, for example, contain a list of stolen Gibsons?

jx7000

I live in NC and the Guitar Center in Raleigh has a room full of Gibson acoustics, some of which are vintage. I also check out local pawn shops every couple months, sometimes you get lucky but it can be a very time wasting process sometimes, and they're not always Gibsons. I've found several Fender guitars (Strats, Teles, Mustangs) around local pawn shops, but if you're looking for Gibsons it's probably not going to be your best choice. Anyway, hope this helped you out. (=

Actually, I bought a 1996 Rickenbacker 360 today; however, in the

process of doing my due diligence I came across databases where

you can look for stolen property (apparently many pawn shop owners

do this all the time).

So there's www.tracechecker.com (pay site, biggest for the USA),

911stolen.com for Canada. I googled "database of stolen items" and

found quite a few hits--better than nothing I thought.

JX7000

Hey folks, thanks so much for all your comments. - They are a great help. Been checking into a few things, and have heard some great stories, and some not so great about collectibles etc. I guess it just comes down to the standard, "buyer beware" kinna gig.

So, I will keep on a searchin :)

Cheers! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just thought I put in my 2 cents in. First thing I'd do is Go to a local magazine store such as Barnes & Nobles get Vintage guitar magazine & get aware of some if the vintage music stores, Who knows you find one in your own state.

Also be aware of some sticker shock of some classic guitar prices. Just like toys & classic cars. and antiques...

Also prices change as top of the line guitars to bottom of the line guitars too, Happy hunting....

TC rocker

Archived