Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Les Paul Traditional Pro from Musician's Friend

DrBo42

Bought a level 2 used LP Trad Pro from Musician's friend, arrived today. I laughed after playing it for an hour on how good of a deal I got on this thing considering there's only scratches on the pick guard. In any case, there's some pretty decent buzzing on it around the 7th fret on the low E and A. Took the plate off to do a truss rod adjustment and the thing is stiff as hell. When I took the plate off it looked like I was the first human being in there so I don't think it was returned because of it.

Edit: Used a drop of WD-40, seemed to do the trick. Hopefully it'll fix the buzz but if not I'll just get it setup. Pretty awesome guitar, everyone at work (where it got shipped to) is raving about how good it plays in comparison to the Ultra 339 I had last. The neck on this thing is soooooo good. Anyone have recommendations on certain strings to use on these? I'm looking for anything that will give it a bit more warmth if possible.

Congrats..............I've used (mostly) Ernie Balls for many years.......For a warm tone, try any brand's pure nickel strings....

Although E.B.s are the best...............

Congrats on your new LP. I use EB strings myself and have for many years as well. My Trad Pro is one of my favorite Gits but they are a bright sounding ax. I run my tone controls 5 to 6 and this warms the sound good enough for me. I may cover the pups although I like the Zebras. HNGD, enjoy. [thumbup]

... I may cover the pups although I like the Zebras. HNGD, enjoy. [thumbup]

I didn't know that you could do that. Does it affect the sound much?

Anyway Gratz on your new guitar. I got mine 2 weeks ago (Guitar Center) and I love it. Best playing guitar that I ever had!

I don't understand how the Epiphone pickguards get so scratched up, on a new guitar. Of the four routines that I received, every pickguard looked like it was used as a cat toy. The trad pro does sound great, though. I wish that I would have gotten one with a better fret job, because the sound of the trad pro blows my plus top out of the water.

Yeah it's in major need of a setup. I straightened the neck the best I could last night but it still buzzes like a madman on the 5th string around the 6-12 frets. I'm just hoping it doesn't need a fret job. If only I had one of those ridiculous stewmac fret rockers or something. Pretty damn good sounding guitar stock though.

Archived