Gibson Brands Forums

Help identifing a gibson acoustic

TonyLS

I'm tryng to get as much information as I can on my first real guitar that I owned. It was given to me by my parents. It was purchased sometime between 1970 and 1975, give or take a year. It's a sunburst gibson acoustic, it's not a full size guitar. I think it may be called a 3/4 size but not 100% sure if that's the official name.

I can't find a serial number anywhere on the guitar. There isn't a label inside the guitar, and I also looked under the rod cover. I see no markings at all, except for the Gibson logo stamped on the head stock (if that's what you call the piece that holds the machine heads).

The gibson site has a lot of information about older guitars but you need a serial number to determine anything.

At one time I thought I had read that the color rings and number of rings around the sound hole can provide a clue as to when it was made. But now I can't find any information pertaining to this theory.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Also an estimated value would be nice to have.

Thanks

There was a Gibson sunburst LG2 3/4 size guitar made in the 60's. As far as I can recollect that was the only 3/4 model. It would be smaller than a standard size concert guitar (the regular LG2) and of course smaller than a dreadnaught or round shouldered J model.

It's LG2 designation would be ink stamped straight into the soundhole. It might be faint to see.

Otherwise, look on the internet or on e-bay for a Gibson LG-2 or LG2 model and let us know if it looks like it only slightly bigger.

QM

Thanks for the replies. QuestionMark got the correct model number! When searching LG2 on the Gibson site the picture of my guitar came up. I couldn't believe that it's retailing for $2500 new. I think my parents bought it for about $200. I've also searched ebay and found models made in the 60s going for $1500 or more. I would never sell it, just nice to know what I have. It needs some work, the bridge is lifting up off the body. I still can't find a serial number for it, I'll look closely inside when I have the strings off.

Archived