Gibson Brands Forums

ES 125. How old?

56 Special

Hi.

I just bought a ES 125, the number stamped inside the f-hole is Y5321.

I found the 'Blue Book' info on dating Gibsons but it's still a bit hazy. The Y suggests it maybe a 1953 model but nothing really seems to correspond...

Can anyone help me date this?

Cheers,

Dave.

It's a '53.

The basic 125s didn't change a lot over the years. The earliest ones had some odd pickups, clear knobs, minor stuff, but from about 1950 onward they didn't really change. Typically Gibsons before 1955 had 19 frets, 20 thereafter.

Likely the FON (Factory Order Number), which probably has no more significance numerically that a purchase order number.

Most Gibsons of that era were made in batches or lots of 40 and the sequential number is often tagged onto the end. I have a 1958 Gibson C-6 classical with the number T4113-30. The T signifies 1958 (only applicable on 50s Gibsons and then not all of them!), 4113 was the FON, and it was #30 of 40. Sometimes that last 2 digits is missing and that makes me wonder if some models were considered "open ended" orders, in other words, just make them until we tell you otherwise. Also to be considered is that sometimes the last 2 digits were penciled or done in red ink and may have faded. I don't know if that was tied to any specific era but should be taken into account when looking at a stamped #.

Oh, that was an easy one! Stick around, sometimes it's insane.

Gibson numbers prior to 1977 are a mess so the number itself is usually only one piece of the puzzle; many other physical features need to be taken into account. I think it's fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived