Gibson Brands Forums

New Pups for a new Plus Top?

dcgrocknroll

Hey there,

I'm not new to Epiphone, but I am new to this forum. I've owned plenty of guitars (mostly Epi's), and I just acquired a LP Standard Plus Top in Honeyburst. I'm sure there is a similar thread somewhere here for this, but I guess I might have over-looked it. I love the sound I'm getting out of my guitar, however I am new to the whole pup replacement thing. I am dying of curiosity as what I can possibly coax out of my LP if I could switch the pickups to either Pearly Gates, or Slash Alnico II's. Could anyone describe what those soundlike in contrast to the pickups on my Plus Top (Alnico Classics)? Or perhaps burst buckers? I'm just looking for meaty lows and crunchy-bitey mids and treble. Versatility is also nice when it comes to clean tones... or maybe a combination of one of the classics and one of the aforementioned?

I'm sorry if there seem to be a lot of questions here, I'm just very very curious and I have no frame of reference.

Thanks!

-DCG

post-42079-050115800 1332927180_thumb.jpg

I don't think you will find any one simple answer to your question. Everyone has there own opinion as to what you will need. But only you know your tastes in tone. My advice is to call or email a manufacturer of pickups and tell them what equipment you have, what type of music you play, and let them suggest pickups for you.

I don't think you will find any one simple answer to your question. Everyone has there own opinion as to what you will need. But only you know your tastes in tone. My advice is to call or email a manufacturer of pickups and tell them what equipment you have, what type of music you play, and let them suggest pickups for you.

I'm just looking to see what different people enjoy. I know it's rather subjective which is why I'm asking multiple people.

PAF's and LP's are made for each other. Duncan makes some of the best PAF's. PG's and A2P's are very popular, as are '59's. My favorite is the Seth, and exact duplicate of the 1955 original made by Seth Lover.

Look on eBay for used PU's, and you can save some money. That's where I get mine, and almost all were used.

I found that what I can coax out of the Amp is where My Honeyburst shines. If I play through tubes like El84 like in a Fender Pro Jr - I have to use a lot of treble and back off the bass. If I play a 6V6 Fender type I have to boost the bass a bit and set the treble about mid way to get it set right. If I use my VOX VT30 I am all over the place on the tone settings. I found that if I set the tone for the neck pickup on the amp then the Bridge pickup can be controlled by the tone setting on the guitar.

Archived