Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup output

ResonantEvil

Hey everyone! I bought an Epiphone Les Paul Studio a few months back. I'm an electronics hobbyist interested in designing an amplifier system. I know I can measure the output of the pickups, but I was wondering where I can find the specification so that I know what the output "should" be. Any advice as to where to start looking?

Michael

Most PU manufacturers don't give the output, usually they'll give resistance (ohms), and some don't even do that. The type of magnet used will change the output, even though the resistance will stay the same. Epi uses a lot of A5's, which are relatively high output mags; A2's and A3's are low output; A4's & UOA5's are medium output, and A8's and ceramics are high output. HB's and P-90 use the same size mags, so you can swap them wherever you want.

I wouldn't design an amplifier system built around the stock Epi PU's. They're not made to be on a par with high quality aftermarket PU's. Your first move should probably be upgrading PU's, a good set of PAF's are always nice in LP's. Dial in your tones further, if need be, by adjusting the PU and pole piece heights, and and possibly changing magnets or pots to tweak the EQ's. Then once that's perfected, that would be the time to look at the amplification.

Most PU manufacturers don't give the output, usually they'll give resistance (ohms), and some don't even do that. The type of magnet used will change the output, even though the resistance will stay the same. Epi uses a lot of A5's, which are relatively high output mags; A2's and A3's are low output; A4's & UOA5's are medium output, and A8's and ceramics are high output. HB's and P-90 use the same size mags, so you can swap them wherever you want.

I wouldn't design an amplifier system built around the stock Epi PU's. They're not made to be on a par with high quality aftermarket PU's. Your first move should probably be upgrading PU's, a good set of PAF's are always nice in LP's. Dial in your tones further, if need be, by adjusting the PU and pole piece heights, and and possibly changing magnets or pots to tweak the EQ's. Then once that's perfected, that would be the time to look at the amplification.

Thanks for the information. I'm not looking to design the next greatest guitar amp out there. It's really an electronics learning opportunity. When I get better at the guitar and audio electronics, then I'll start upgrading the guitar and tweaking the amp.

Michael

Archived