Gibson Brands Forums

Historic Questions

gheg711

Hello,

New to this forum so bear with me. I have my first Historic on the way from Daves Guitar Shop. It is a used 2000 R9. Salesman says it was sold originally through them back in 2000, and that it came stock with Burstbucker 1 and 2 pickups. I have done some reading the last few weeks and everything I have read says that the 2000 r9's came stock with 57 classics. Can anyone give me some information on why this guitar might have been made with Burstbuckers??

I found this.

"Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Historic R9 59 Reissue PAF

There is a LOT to talk about when it comes to 2002 R9s and R0s .This was a very special year for them. Only 300 R9s made! More on that later (for those who already know or are not interested) 9lbs 0.0 oz. This was special ordered with Brazilian rosewood fretboard. Gibson will not verify this, but the original owner ordered it as such. It may be a moot point as far as investment goes, but once you play this and see this R9, you will KNOW it is BRW .This rift sawn Eastern Maple top has a wall to wall 3-D flame and a very vintage authentic color. I have saved the best until last in my recent string of Historic Les Pauls. This is a TONE MONSTER. Sustain, gritty honk, rich harmonics, woody openness, all of what Les Pauls are know for, this baby has IN SPADES. Excellent condition, with only minor button marks, as pictured in panel 10. Panel 5 shows what it looks like in natural light.

So, what is so special about 2002 R9s (and R0s)? First of all, in the 90s Gibson promised the R9s would all have (except the 1999-2000 Plaintops of course) AAA grade maple or better. But Gibson often resorted to using Western big leaf maple to fulfill that. After making about 2500 R9s in 1999, over 2000 in 2000, and about 800 in 2001. Gibson only made about 300 in 2002, because while they were still guaranteeing AAA grade maple, in 2002 they would only use Eastern maple on the R9s. And there are the specs as well. Unlike the other Historics, the R9s and R0s had many new features this year, much like what the 2003s had universally for all Historics. While the R7s, R8s etc still had mostly 2001 specs, the R9s introduced many new features, only a few of which were shared with the rest of the line that year. Here are some I can remember: Thinner binding, tortoise side markers, newly more accurately shaped (pointed) inlays on the fretboard, thin switch washer and jack plug plastic, in line tuner mounting (rather than following the contour of the headstock) new more accurate tuner bushings, new control knobs, lightweight aluminum tailpiece, FOR ONE YEAR ONLY, wireless ABR-1 bridge (not mounted, but included, so you get two bridges) Burstbucker 1 and 2 pickups.

NOTE about Burstbuckers: They were introduced to the Japanese market in 1996. They were first used for the US market in 2000 on the Gary Moore Les Paul. In mid 2001 through 2002, the R8 Custom Authentic models had Burstbucker 2, 3 (the regular R8s still had 57 Classics). In 2002 the R9s and R0s had the Burstbucker 1, 2. All the other Humbuckered 2002 Historics had 57 Classics. In 2003 the Burstbucker were widely used on Historics. The early Burstbuckers were made in the Elgin plant and did NOT have the white stickers on them. By 2003, they used the white identifying stickers. Many owners of various 2001 and 2002 Historics think they have 57 Classics, because the lack of the white sticker we have come to associate with the Burstbuckers. 57 Classics have polished magnets, and Burstbuckers have rough cast magnets.

The 2002 R9s also feature NOS CTS pots, after Gibson switched to the cheapo Gibson branded pots in 1999. The catch is the NOS pots were from the 70s and 80s, and were mostly 300k and 100k linear tapered. Also they had yellow paper in oil caps."""

Archived