Gibson Brands Forums

Need date for an old archtop L 50

old mark

The guitar is pretty beat up and will need some work- Has NO inlay on headstock, looks like Gibson script decal, and has a plain metal tailpiece with a damaged tortise shell pickguard. SN visible through F hole stamped on inside back in ink is 288A 17.

looking for approximate date-I'm thinking late 1940's, but maybe pre war?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

mark

288A 17 is actually the guitar's FON (factory order number) and it dates the guitar to 1935, so definitely a pre-war L-50. Pre-war L-50s had no serial #s. The logo was silk-screened and not a decal. Congrats on the new acquisition. Love to see some pix.

Have not yet bought it, or even seen it in person. It all depends on how much work I can do on it myself if I get it or not.

I'm glad it's pre-WWII-I think the quality was much better and the workmanship as well, plus the age of that wood must really contribute to the tone, provided it can be brought back.

It has a split looks like where the 2 piece top is joined right under the tailpiece, and it's filthy...obviously neglected for many many years.

I have done some work on older archtops, but it all depends on how the neck is ... it does have a truss rod, so that's an advantage.

I will examine it closely and see what's what.

Thanks.

mark

Have not yet bought it, or even seen it in person. It all depends on how much work I can do on it myself if I get it or not.

I'm glad it's pre-WWII-I think the quality was much better and the workmanship as well, plus the age of that wood must really contribute to the tone, provided it can be brought back.

It has a split looks like where the 2 piece top is joined right under the tailpiece, and it's filthy...obviously neglected for many many years.

I have done some work on older archtops, but it all depends on how the neck is ... it does have a truss rod, so that's an advantage.

I will examine it closely and see what's what.

Thanks.

mark

Fixing the cracked top should not be a big deal if you know how. Remember, the L-50 was Gibson least expensive 16" archtop in 1935, so don't expect a lot in terms of a big sound. It's a good entry-level archtop for sure.

If I do get it, I'll probably be taking it out to play...A high end vintage Gibson in a bar does not seem like a great idea...Back in the old days when I had a '68 LP Custom, it never left the house.

mark

The L-50 will make a great gigging guitar. Shouldn't have to worry too much about it leaving the house. If you play amplified, I would also recommend looking for an ES-125, which is essentially a L-50 with a single pickup. I see plenty of them for sale for not a lot of $$

It has a few days yet to go at auction and it's already around the price point I wanted to spend on it. I have seen several others and some similar other brands that I am interested in...have to see what happens with it, but probably not going to buy it.

mark

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what happened...I passed on that Archtop, went looking for another...and I found a very nice round hole archtop L3 The Gibson from around 1930, with the factory case, for less money than the L50, and in much better condition. it's kind of red, and in very nice shape for being well over 70. They have a unique tone, and I think it will be a nice blues guitar.

It's on the way here from Louisiana right now...may be here Friday. I'll let you know.

msp_thumbup.gif

mark

Well, what happened...I passed on that Archtop, went looking for another...and I found a very nice round hole archtop L3 The Gibson from around 1930, with the factory case, for less money than the L50, and in much better condition. it's kind of red, and in very nice shape for being well over 70. They have a unique tone, and I think it will be a nice blues guitar.

It's on the way here from Louisiana right now...may be here Friday. I'll let you know.

msp_thumbup.gif

mark

I wonder kinda sound you were looking for as a roundhole L-3 will sound completely different than an f-hole L-50. Do you play old time music? The c1930 L-3 is basically the same as Gibson started building back in the early 1900s, so it's a bit of an old fashioned design and tone.

Archived