Gibson Brands Forums

54 LG1 specs

Joe B

I am looking to purchase this "54" LG1 from a friend. From what I read the 1954 LG1s have smaller pickguard and 19 frets. This one has the bigger pointed one and 20 frets. The serial that I see is stamped twice X926 on the inside back. I don't know if the neck block has a stamp, he will get back to me. Anybody have any clues?

Thanks

LG1-serial.jpg

LG1.jpg

Hi Joe - your friend might think that it's 1954 because that number (X926) looks like a Factory Order Number or "FON" and the letter prefix for 1954 was "X".

I have a '54ish ES 125 that so far most people I've asked think is a '54 cause the closest thing to a number that can be found on it is "X249".

Someone who knows more will probably show up soon.

You've probably already found this site but if not:

Vintage Guitars Info - Gibson

August 1942 LG-1 introduction specs:

14 1/8" wide Spruce top, X-bracing, mahogany back, no lengthwise center seam on inside back

mahogany sides, mahogany neck, rectangle bridge with black pins, single bound top and back

sometimes darker sunburst finish (darker than the LG-2, to hide the lower quality spruce top).

Only a Gibson is Good Enough" banner logo. Only about 100 made in 1942, production ceased until 1946.

In 1946 the "banner" is dropped (still a script "Gibson" peghead logo). Bracing changed to ladder.

In 1948 goes to a "block" Gibson peghead logo.

In 1955 larger pickguard with point, and 20 frets total.

In 1962 plastic upper belly bridge. $105 list price.

In 1966 rosewood bridge with adjustable saddle was used.

Discontinued in 1968 but seen as late as 1974.

I am looking to purchase this "54" LG1 from a friend. From what I read the 1954 LG1s have smaller pickguard and 19 frets. This one has the bigger pointed one and 20 frets. The serial that I see is stamped twice X926 on the inside back. I don't know if the neck block has a stamp, he will get back to me. Anybody have any clues?

Thanks

LG1-serial.jpg

LG1.jpg

Archived