Gibson Brands Forums

Pencil necks

orpheoet

I have a 67 Barney Kessel that i bought of ebay(stop me if you've heard this) and i was surprised to find how skinny the neck is on it. A little research later I now know it's what has come to be termed a pencil neck. 1 9/16 at the nut. It does take a moment to adjust to the narrowness but I have to say itr is very comfortable to play. There are many people on here far more informed on this than i am, I'm sure. What can you guys tell me about these necks? What models saw them, what years did they appear. What is the reason behind them.... Thanks!

I have a 67 Barney Kessel that i bought of ebay(stop me if you've heard this) and i was surprised to find how skinny the neck is on it. A little research later I now know it's what has come to be termed a pencil neck. 1 9/16 at the nut. It does take a moment to adjust to the narrowness but I have to say itr is very comfortable to play. There are many people on here far more informed on this than i am, I'm sure. What can you guys tell me about these necks? What models saw them, what years did they appear. What is the reason behind them.... Thanks!

I've come back to this interesting thread a few times about mid-60's thin Gibson necks ...

Thin Gibson Necks

I've yet to explore the mid to late 60's Gibson offerings where narrow nut widths and slender neck profiles might show up, but I did play a mid 60's J-45 with a very slim neck.

I do have a thing for older Guilds however.....and find lots of 1 5/8 nuts on those from the mid to late 50's.

Fortunately for me they have a nice round profile.....not too shallow and they feel substantial.

I usually will have a new nut made to spread the strings a bit if there's room.......and if I really like the guitar, I might also have it refretted.

New frets overlapping the binding a tiny bit allows for extra room for wider string spacing.....that I can appreciate.

But 1 5/8 would not be my choice......I'm just adaptable to a point.

Interestingly enough.....I've noticed that the late 30's had a "speed neck" trend as well.

I've encountered several old Epiphone, Vega and even a few Gibson archtops from that period with 1 5/8" nuts.

Apparently enough swing rhythm players of the day liked that option that the makers made them available for awhile.

ziz

I've yet to explore the mid to late 60's Gibson offerings where narrow nut widths and slender neck profiles might show up, but I did play a mid 60's J-45 with a very slim neck.

I do have a thing for older Guilds however.....and find lots of 1 5/8 nuts on those from the mid to late 50's.

Fortunately for me they have a nice round profile.....not too shallow and they feel substantial.

I usually will have a new nut made to spread the strings a bit if there's room.......and if I really like the guitar, I might also have it refretted.

New frets overlapping the binding a tiny bit allows for extra room for wider string spacing.....that I can appreciate.

But 1 5/8 would not be my choice......I'm just adaptable to a point.

Interestingly enough.....I've noticed that the late 30's had a "speed neck" trend as well.

I've encountered several old Epiphone, Vega and even a few Gibson archtops from that period with 1 5/8" nuts.

Apparently enough swing rhythm players of the day liked that option that the makers made them available for awhile.

ziz

Archived