Gibson Brands Forums

Understanding newer Epi serial numbers

EpiAlan

Here is a web site I found to help you identify your Epiphone serial number. New Epi's no longer carry Letters in them, they are now a string of numbers to help you identify yours, check this link out. Good luck!

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=137098806349259

The serial will give you the year and month the guitar was made, factory code and production number. This isn't a way to verify whether or not a guitar is an authentic piece however because quite often fakes are stamped with proper serial numbers matching the model they're copying. The more you know. [biggrin]

The serial will give you the year and month the guitar was made, factory code and production number. This isn't a way to verify whether or not a guitar is an authentic piece however because quite often fakes are stamped with proper serial numbers matching the model they're copying. The more you know. [biggrin]

Maybe not. But for those who are looking to understand how to read a string of numbers to identify your Epi, this will help to clarify what year and place it was made. The Epi site for serial numbers states that a guitar is not identifiable because the old epi site for this does not recognize a serial number without letters in it. And newer Epi's have no letters in the serial number. Without it I would not have been able to know when my two authentic Epi's were made, or where. If you buy a brand new Epi from a reliable dealer like Guitar Center, you can assume it is a real Epi, but not know what the serial numbers mean. This link will help those who seek this information.

Maybe not. But for those who are looking to understand how to read a string of numbers to identify your Epi, this will help to clarify what year and place it was made. The Epi site for serial numbers states that a guitar is not identifiable because the old epi site for this does not recognize a serial number without letters in it. And newer Epi's have no letters in the serial number. Without it I would not have been able to know when my two authentic Epi's were made, or where. If you buy a brand new Epi from a reliable dealer like Guitar Center, you can assume it is a real Epi, but not know what the serial numbers mean. This link will help those who seek this information.

I stated that in the first line of my response, all I meant by it is some people are under the false impression that a proper serial number means a guitar is the real deal... when in fact it's just part of the identification process. I've seen people pay top dollar for Chinese Epiphone and Gibson Les Paul fakes on the used market because the serial checked out so I thought I'd throw it out there when the word authenticity was used. You are 100% correct in saying when buying new from a certified dealer that the guitar will be the real deal.

Archived