Gibson Brands Forums

Clueless guitar player wants to know about bass strings

dougg330

So I went to a flea market this AM with my wife and cam across a 1967 Bruno Conqueror bass. Condition seemed pretty good - the seller was a friend of the guy who had owned it from new. Hadn't been played in about 20 years. I laid out $50 for it. Plugged it in at home and it works - and sounds really good. Going to have my guitar tech adjust the bowed neck, clean the electronics, etc.

Strings are rusted and old - have to be replaced ASAP.

But I've never played bass or strung one up, so I have no idea what size strings to get.

Fortunately, I know where to turn for help with all things guitar-related: the Epi Forum.

So help me out guys. What size strings should I get?

Thanks -

Doug

photo2.jpg

Where the guitar is old and the neck was already bowed if I were you I'd buy the lighest gauge bass strings available.I'm not that used to bass string gauges-I haven't changed mine in the 30 years I've owned it-but if you check out the gauges in a store just pick out the lighest ones.I find that the best sounding and longest lasting bass strings are the flatwound and although they are pretty expensive,in the long run they are the better buy IMHO.Rotosound are among the best of bass strings both wire and flat wound.

BTW,she's a cool old guitar!!!

Thanks! I'll try the lightest. Was def thinking flatwounds, too. Cleaned her up a little, oiled the fretboard etc. The pickguard is a cool, stripey tortoiseshell plastic. Fret inlays seem to be MOP. Neck is a nice shape - just a little bit too bowed...but it does have a trussrod, so as long as that's working I think it can be easily fixed.

Best,

Dougg330

Where the guitar is old and the neck was already bowed if I were you I'd buy the lighest gauge bass strings available.I'm not that used to bass string gauges-I haven't changed mine in the 30 years I've owned it-but if you check out the gauges in a store just pick out the lighest ones.I find that the best sounding and longest lasting bass strings are the flatwound and although they are pretty expensive,in the long run they are the better buy IMHO.Rotosound are among the best of bass strings both wire and flat wound.

BTW,she's a cool old guitar!!!

Nice looking bass, especially at that price [woot]

+1 for the Rotosounds, I've been using them for year, and are hands down the best strings I've used. Just make sure you get the right scale, it looks like a short or medium scale from the pics. Good luck with bringing her back [cool]

Personally I use Diaddario strings but, I would bet that bass would sound great with flat wounds with a chunk of foam under the strings by the bridge. Makes for a really quick decay of notes-one of my favorite tones!! Congrats on the good deal.

Personally I use Diaddario strings but, I would bet that bass would sound great with flat wounds with a chunk of foam under the strings by the bridge. Makes for a really quick decay of notes-one of my favorite tones!! Congrats on the good deal.

+1. I like the D'Addario Chromes, but Fender makes a good flat set too that costs less.

Archived