Gibson Brands Forums

Need Experts' Help Identifying Old Gibson Parts

GretschGuy

I'm not going to claim to be a true expert on these parts, but I figured I'd share some opinions.

Exhibit 1: Mainly due to the condition of these, I doubt that they're original Gibson "speed knobs" from the period (1953-55) they would have been used. If they're copies, they're very well done, though.

Exhibits 4 and 5: These appear to be original Gibson knobs from late-1960 to 1967. They would have been used on guitars with sunburst or natural finishes.

Exhibit 6: The three black knobs in the lower right corner of the photo appear to be the black version (used on cherry red, black, or white-finished guitars) of the '60-'67 gold knobs in exhibits 4 and 5. The majority of the other black knobs with ribs on the sides (generally referred to as "witch hats") are '67 and later if they're from Gibson guitars. They were also used on Fender amps beginning around '63 I think. You have some variations there for sure, but I'll leave it to someone else to tackle that topic.

The truss rod cover looks legit to me, although there could be a subtle feature I'm glossing over. It could certainly "pass" without drawing stares, in my opinion.

Not sure about your switch tip, mainly because I think worrying about the fine details on those is a little bit nutty (and believe me, I'm definitely nutty myself to some degree ;)).

NO!...Lets start with this.....I say, Its all on you, brother! Put it on the market and let the buyer figure it out....or "buyer beware' if the case might be. You are soliciting for advice/info...(none of it factual) for personal gain....for free?? Wutupwiddat?...... : [confused]

NO!...Lets start with this.....I say, Its all on you, brother! Put it on the market and let the buyer figure it out....or "buyer beware' if the case might be. You are soliciting for advice/info...(none of it factual) for personal gain....for free?? Wutupwiddat?...... : [confused]

I respectfully disagree, Rod. These kind of questions pop up around here all the time, where people request info about something they're buying or selling. Can't people at least try to help out in situations like this? It's recreation for guitar enthusiasts (at least that's how I see it). We're free to spend time helping or not. He's not putting a gun to your head. [tongue]

By the way, what kind of Gretsch guitars do you like? Are you a member at "The Gretsch Pages" forum?

Many thanks for your guidance and support. I am a member at both Gretsch forums--more info on that in the post below.

I have a fair few of them but I tend to prefer 50s. Right now my favorite to gig with is a 1960 6119, and right there with it is a 58 Duo Jet.

I want to experiment with sounds at the moment and I have a P90 from a 1961 ES-125 (I know it to be from that guitar since I took it off myself in the 80s -- it came with the headstock broken off, someone had found it in the trash. The P90 still soldered to the original wiring harness although it won't be for long).

Even though that P90 is in the 7.6 ohms range, which is my understanding is common for the neck ones and not the bridge P90s, I want to try it in the bridge position and a DeArmond I got off a 1956 Gretsch Corvette in the neck. I think the best neck pick up ever is the dearmond and, with profound respect, that Eddie Cochran may have gotten it wrong when he put the P90 at the neck slot of his 6120.

A 1980 Anniversary I have is the perfect guitar for this sort of pick up experimentation. It's got a lot of extra holes in it already.

If inclined I could go find more than a few discussions on both of the main Gretsch forums where people have turned up asking for info on things I know an awful lot about, namely Gretsches, Bigsbys and, in some instances Rickenbackers and Fender amps. Always have been happy to help. Never once have I or anyone on these forums graced someone with such a response and such attitude.

My hope is that if I had some Gibson stuff here, I could then get it to someone who wants it for restoring their old guitar, rather than throwing it in the trash which is what I'll be doing with the Japanese stuff and anything I don't in good faith believe to be original Kalamazoo parts. There are more than a few parts I could use for various Gretsches I have and I would be delighted if someone had stuff like I have for them and turned up on the Gretsch Pages.

I'd be happy to pay you for your purported expertise if you can demonstrate why it is I should be paying you. Your grammar for starters suggests such a transaction is highly unlikely.

I don't own any Gibsons right now. But my brothers have amongst them a Roy Smeck acoustic and the other an LG-0 or LG-1, both 30s and more importantly the best acoustics I've ever heard. Between that and the railroading job that Gibson has recently been subjected to by the feds, I've 90% made up my mind to sell my Martin and get a Gibson instead, to support the company and hopefully get something that patterns itself after the sound of my brothers' guitars since the 30s styling to me of Gibson acoustics is quite beautiful.

But guitars are definitely extensions of personality. Consequently, if your attitude is reflective of the people who own and play Gibsons then I'll have to reconsider what would replace my OM45. Maybe a Guild or I'll just stick with the somewhat laughable sounding (but amazing when recorded) Gretsch Town & Country I have.

Anyhow, when you find that 50s Gretsch at a garage sale one day and want to know what it is you have, you will nevertheless be welcome over on the Gretsch sites.

Over and out.

I respectfully disagree, Rod. These kind of questions pop up around here all the time, where people request info about something they're buying or selling. Can't people at least try to help out in situations like this? It's recreation for guitar enthusiasts (at least that's how I see it). We're free to spend time helping or not. He's not putting a gun to your head. [tongue]

I stand corrected. One of these days, I will learn to keep my mouth shut!

If inclined I could go find more than a few discussions on both of the main Gretsch forums where people have turned up asking for info on things I know an awful lot about, namely Gretsches, Bigsbys and, in some instances Rickenbackers and Fender amps. Always have been happy to help. Never once have I or anyone on these forums graced someone with such a response and such attitude.

My hope is that if I had some Gibson stuff here, I could then get it to someone who wants it for restoring their old guitar, rather than throwing it in the trash which is what I'll be doing with the Japanese stuff and anything I don't in good faith believe to be original Kalamazoo parts. There are more than a few parts I could use for various Gretsches I have and I would be delighted if someone had stuff like I have for them and turned up on the Gretsch Pages.

I'd be happy to pay you for your purported expertise if you can demonstrate why it is I should be paying you. Your grammar for starters suggests such a transaction is highly unlikely.

I don't own any Gibsons right now. But my brothers have amongst them a Roy Smeck acoustic and the other an LG-0 or LG-1, both 30s and more importantly the best acoustics I've ever heard. Between that and the railroading job that Gibson has recently been subjected to by the feds, I've 90% made up my mind to sell my Martin and get a Gibson instead, to support the company and hopefully get something that patterns itself after the sound of my brothers' guitars since the 30s styling to me of Gibson acoustics is quite beautiful.

But guitars are definitely extensions of personality. Consequently, if your attitude is reflective of the people who own and play Gibsons then I'll have to reconsider what would replace my OM45. Maybe a Guild or I'll just stick with the somewhat laughable sounding (but amazing when recorded) Gretsch Town & Country I have.

Anyhow, when you find that 50s Gretsch at a garage sale one day and want to know what it is you have, you will nevertheless be welcome over on the Gretsch sites.

Over and out.

My apologies to you Gretsch Guy! Good luck in your quest for information/verification. I will stay out of it! I admit that I do have my moments of 'assinine attitude'. Sorry to have directed it at you....carry on.

Archived