Gibson Brands Forums

Identification

TomT321

New Member here so if this subject has been beat to death before I apologize in advance. Back in the mid 80s I bought a Les Paul Studio (Serial#82014522) so far I have been able to find out that it was Nashville built in 1984. I was recently asked what pups it has and if it is made from mahogany or alder. Is there a quick way of being able to tell? I have e-mailed Gibson but have not heard back.

Thanks

TomT

• 3 weeks later...

New Member here so if this subject has been beat to death before I apologize in advance. Back in the mid 80s I bought a Les Paul Studio (Serial#82014522) so far I have been able to find out that it was Nashville built in 1984. I was recently asked what pups it has and if it is made from mahogany or alder. Is there a quick way of being able to tell? I have e-mailed Gibson but have not heard back.

Thanks

TomT

Tom, to the best of my knowledge, Gibson uses mohagony for their Studio LP bodies and then some get a maple top. If yours has a transparent paint on it then it most likely has a maple top and if the paint is opaque then it is solid mohagony. I've honestly never heard of Gibson using alder for any solid bodied electric, that is usually what Fender uses.

Archived