Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton Inlays

Kylef

I am modding my Sheraton extensively, and one of the things I want is to finish off what Epiphone started, and put in the remaining 3 block inlays down the neck.

However, I have never seen the Sheraton type inlays available. You know the ones, the block with the triangle through it. Is this something a luthier could copy, or am I needing to look some out?

Please let us know what solution/source you find for genuine mother-of-pearl and green abalone for your fretboard. I suspect that the pieces will need to be handmade from the 2 materials then fit into hand-finished recesses cut into the fretboard.

From what I can determine by examining my recently acquired Sheraton II, the inlays are 3 separate pieces which are precisely shaped to form a wide rectangle. The precision of the seams leads me to believe that the individual pieces are cut or shaped by machine because the center V seams are very consistent.

The inlays can be duplicated, but it's fairly precise work and would require a meticulous craftsman skilled in cutting and installing inlays, IMO. Otherwise, a person semi-skilled in a similar background would likely require some practice at working with the precise lines and fragile materials.

It's fairly obvious that it's not an all-ya-gotta-do-is.. type job that can be performed in 10 minutes with some J-B weld epoxy, ACK!.

I was a little surprised to discover that the corners of the inlays are actually square, not rounded as they would be if a CNC router cut the recesses. In days of olde, the recesses would've been cut by hand with very sharp small chisels, but apparently a machine method has been developed.

For the best appearance, the size of the final 3 inlays would likely need to be different sizes, maybe two the same height and one shorter one.

BTW, the newer Sheraton II headstock inlays are different from previous versions. It seems that the first/top "blossom" in the vine is now green instead of all-white inlays in the earlier versions.

Bill

I am modding my Sheraton extensively, and one of the things I want is to finish off what Epiphone started, and put in the remaining 3 block inlays down the neck.

However, I have never seen the Sheraton type inlays available. You know the ones, the block with the triangle through it. Is this something a luthier could copy, or am I needing to look some out?

Archived