Gibson Brands Forums

Suggestions for blues soloing instructional package?

Beatnik57

A while back I researched a lot of blues instructional stuff on Amazon and ended up ordering something called "Blues You Can Use", which is a booklet with a CD. I've found it moderately helpful, but as far as the instructional songs go, it doesn't offer much technical help in how best to play them, like providing suggested fingerings, positions, where to shift, etc. and since there's no DVD, I'm often left trying to figure these things out myself and then making notations in the book.

Can any of you recommend an intermediate-level bookDVD or online instructional package that does a good job of teaching, demonstrating, and explaining things?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for strings that do blues well (bends, hammers, pull-offs, etc.), I'd appreciate that as well. I also play a lot of different rock stuff and have been using GHS Boomers 10-46's, but am open to suggestions.

Wow, how does one "explain" the Blues? It's a feeling, a vibe, it's a translation of what your feeling at that particular moment to guitar, you make your guitar, sax, whatever you're using convey what you feel, it's all from the heart, you don't think the Blues, you feel the Blues. Pentatonic stuff usually works pretty well for blue-sy type stuff, scales and such, I don't know much about the nutz-n-boltz of playing, I just do it.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Blues-Guitar-Method-Mastering/dp/0739004077/ref=pd_sim_b_title_2

This or in the same series there is a beginners book by David Hamburger. My other suggestion is to augment this book with some lessons from a local pro in your area. You need the human interaction for your timing and accountability. You'll see that they can show you proper techniques. I've been plaing twenty years and I still see a teacher twice a month.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Blues-Guitar-Method-Mastering/dp/0739004077/ref=pd_sim_b_title_2

This or in the same series there is a beginners book by David Hamburger. My other suggestion is to augment this book with some lessons from a local pro in your area. You need the human interaction for your timing and accountability. You'll see that they can show you proper techniques. I've been plaing twenty years and I still see a teacher twice a month.

Thanks econtras, I'll check it out.

Archived